Mixing station help

I have a 55 gallon barrel in my garage with salt mix in it. The mix has been sitting for about a month and half, no issues so far. However, it is in the back gets very little sunlight. I heat and mix it when I make a batch, but after that no heat or stir. Has been working great so far. I read somewhere that it is better to let it sit without mixing, I'll try to find the article.

JDW;913615 wrote: Lol I bet, yeah I have to admit i am a SW reefer on a budget... Most of my stuff is ancient :) My DT has more scratches than DJ Jazzy Jeff's favorite album.

This cracked me up. Mine is the same way.
But on topic, I think those barrels are opaque enough that sunlight getting in wouldn't cause much of a problem, but if it were me, I would spray paint the outside of the barrels, at least on the sides that the sunlight hits. It would only cost a few dollars for peace of mind. My mixing station is on my back porch, so that it's right outside the window from my tank. That way I don't have to carry buckets. Anyway, those buckets get tons of sunlight, but they're painted so no algae growth.
Just my .02. Good luck!

Back