Mod for Beckett Skimmers

flyingarmy;188050 wrote: I was cleaning out my Beckett last night and after putting everything back together noticed that my bubble mix never really changed. I would have thought that it getting clogged over time would degrade the airflow. I said to myself, "self...how about hooking up a air pump to the beckett to force more air into the beckett". Well that is exactly what I did...and whammo...my skimmer now had a bubble mix that looked more like milk, whole milk and not that watery skim crap! I am using a Coralife Super Luft Air Pump (High Pressure) so I don't think a normal air pump would work. What an amazing difference. I am picking up a MRC-3 this weekend with dual becketts and will be using the Luft Pump on it also! Just wanted to share this mod if anyone is using a beckett type skimmer and wants to get more out of it!:D
So, how are you forcing the air into the beckett?

I am just running a normal airline into the valve that was feeding the beckett before. Works like a dream!

flyingarmy;188216 wrote: I am just running a normal airline into the valve that was feeding the beckett before. Works like a dream!
So you've gotten rid of the air silencer all together?

jmaneyapanda;188228 wrote: So you've gotten rid of the air silencer all together?

This was a older beckett and it just had a waterline valve, and it wasn't silent at all. But with the airline it is silent now!

blfuller123;188231 wrote: You shouldnt have to inject air into a beckett. You could probabaly use a bigger pump. I have ran 2000 gph+ per beckett. Usually forcing air will create larger bubbles and eventually burping inside the skimmer.

If you use a HP airpump you don't get the big bubbles. The skimmer is creating very fine, mily bubbles...I'll post up a pic tonight.

Back