Monti-Cap bleaching

piznac;135652 wrote: ALK I have an api & salifert,.. calcium is just the api.

Alk using API is fine but remember hobby kits are not laboratory grade and have a +/- of some %! Keep your alk and Calcium more in the middle of the range. Example: So if you have 7dkh, but the kits off 12% high, you are really at 6.16.
Same with calcium. Just my opinion.

my api calcium showed 520 when my ELOS had 425 and my Salifert showed 480.

Yeah I would have to agree. I have been trying to get it back up without causing any ripples. My guess would be I just caused one.

How would you go about getting the alk back up safely? I picked up some Seachem reef builder & seachem reef calcium. This is what I have been dosing for about 2 weeks now. I followed the instructions fairly well. I'm still not convinced this was the problem ,.. it dosen't sem I have gone to fast,.. although I could ber quite wrong there. So how would you go about getting it back up?

The most "error free" way would be to buy a 2 part ASAP. Examples would be EVC B-ionic, C-balance, etc. You have all the Calcium and additives in one container & the alk in the other. you dose the same of each everyday (after you get it balanced). Then you can decide how you want to continue. Cam does it another way. You can even make your own 2 part (wait on that, though)

Cam uses a calcium reactor which works well, but is involved and unnecessary if you don't have a lot of SPS. IMO, start dosing some kalk in the top off. It is both high in calcium and alk. You can slowly bring the alk back in like with some Seachem Reef Carbonate. Unless you have a lot of SPS or some other calcium sink, kalkwasser can be a one shot fix for a tank.

Back