Supporting
Reaction score
Salinity 34.8
PH. 7.94-8.08
Calcium -480
Mag- unknown . I haven’t tested :(
Nitrates- 5
Phosphate- .01

my only plate is slowly bleaching and I have no idea why. All other corals have gained color and growing at a decent rate. What possibility could there be?image.jpg

You seem to be running an ultra low nutrient system (ulns)
ULNS can magnify issues from parameter shifts. Under traditional filtration methods changes in parameters can cause stunted growth or browning. Mortality is not uncommon.

Fluctuations and shifts in alkalinity can cause harmful coral tissue necrosis. The link between bacteria-driven systems, alkalinity, and coral mortality is still not fully understood. However, with some good husbandry and testing practices, this can largely be avoided.

Ideal ULNS parameters are alkalinity 7-8 KH, 400-450ppm calcium and 1,250-1,350ppm magnesium. You may want to lower your alk a lil.

I’m going to try to lower the alk dosing. I’m actually not trying to run a ULM. I have like 10 dish ( small ones) and feed like 3 cubes a day for my anthias. I don’t run GFO. I change 10 gallons every 2 weeks. Taking skimmer offline brings my PH too low

I’m going to try to lower the alk dosing. I’m actually not trying to run a ULM. I have like 10 dish ( small ones) and feed like 3 cubes a day for my anthias. I don’t run GFO. I change 10 gallons every 2 weeks. Taking skimmer offline brings my PH too low
Is this a new tank?

Yes, tank is new
Gotcha. That explains alot. Probably just need to play the waiting game then. Good sign would be when coraline algae takes off. You can also run an airstone in the sump if you decided to shut the skimmer off or just run skimmer at night when the ph is at its lowest

Gotcha. That explains alot. Probably just need to play the waiting game then. Good sign would be when coraline algae takes off. You can also run an airstone in the sump if you decided to shut the skimmer off or just run skimmer at night when the ph is at its lowest
I dont actually really pay much attention to ph. Chasing numbers gets exhausting theres a lot of reefers on arc with low ph and amazing tanks. Especially those running calc reactors

Have you checked on it when the lights are off? The first thing I think of when montis head south is monti eating nudis. I've dealt with them before and they are the pest that keeps me awake at night. Usually they're easy enough to spot especially once the lights go out. Another tell tale sign that it's nudis is the bleaching will typically start from the outside. They live on the bottom side and when they come around to the top side, they start chomping away. Based on the pic you posted, it looks like it's happening on the center or "high" side of the colony but it's worth looking for them to make sure.

I have a mixed bag of agreement and disagreement with other posts here. Lol

What is your temperature range? And how is it measured?

What lights are you using? At what percent (if applicable? And what is the photoperiod (how long do you have the lights on each day)?

And Can you post a photo with the white lights on? Bleaching causes can sometimes be identified visually. From your actinic photo, there is no apparent bleaching.

Maybe your monti will like it more somewhere at the bottom of the tank with less light. When I had my monti start to bleach, I did that and was able to bring them back.

I will try, it’s only 3-4 inches off sand bed. I’ll maybe tuck it away to the rear to see if that helps.

Also; 10 fish is a lot for a new tank! How new is the tank?

Small fish are going to be better than large ones, but you ought to be careful as it sounds like you may be justifying it for yourself. That is the behavior that leads to at least 90% of the tank crashes I’ve consulted on, so it’s good to exercise caution when assessing your own decisions. You also need to consider the species of fish not just the size. You mentioned you have Anthias. Anthias may be small, but they have a high bio-load equivalent to a large (or very large) fish. Just something to consider.

3 cubes a day is also a lot for 10 small fish. Even 10 small Anthias. But I’m glad to see you’re doing regular water changes to compensate! Great job making a schedule!

Seeing a pH drop when taking the skimmer offline is the first sign of a potentially overstocked tank. Basically, fish and corals are breathing a lot of CO2 into the water, and you’re decreasing the surface area between air and water. So the excess CO2 diffuses into the air at a slower rate, causing your tank to become more acidic. If you want to take the skimmer offline, you can help your pH by either 1) increasing surface agitation of your water by aiming a pump upwards, 2) adding a refugium with algae, and/or 3) adding some houseplants around your tank. Small changes can have cumulative effects.

Note: Its better to think of the stocking capacity of a tank is a fluid number. Yours may be overstocked because of its age. But once again, I don’t have enough info yet to provide specific advice.

but back to the Monti, the primary causes of bleaching will be light, heat, toxins, and pests.

We’ll know more with a white light photo, and some of the questions above, whenever you get back home later.

Fish are doing great. Fish were added a pair at a time. Clowns and wrasses. I miss counted it’s 8 fish lol. The corals are actually growing great. I’ve lost 1 piece of coral since I started. Most are encrusting. Oxygen is being monitored by ORP and fluctuation isn’t bad generally 20points max, and that’s usually occurs when I hit the feed cycle. My wife currently doesn’t like opening windows due to the heat that’s not helping me much. Attached are parameters currentlyD02A3D25-F069-4075-8765-E1713D5F8FDB.png

This is with 5ml calc and alk daily. Calcium drops a bit still but I wanna gradually increase dosage

Great! That temp is a bit on the high side, not too bad, but enough that heat stress could be the primary factor for bleaching. Pending the coral photo, that may be the most likely candidate.

Man, I can’t get that temp to stay under 80. Before adding fans it was like 83-84. Had to lower the ac temp too.

Back