Mounting radions....

edulover

Market
Reaction score
Is there anyone with two radions on a 48'' tank with canopy? How did you mount your radions? Did you purchase the kit from Ecotech? If you did...are there any LFS that carry the kits? Please let me know.

Eddie

I purchased an additional Radion and the rail kit for my tank. The rail kit is pretty clean looking and sturdy. Don't think anyone has them locally though. Pure Reef maybe.

JayU;779739 wrote: I purchased an additional Radion and the rail kit for my tank. The rail kit is pretty clean looking and sturdy. Don't think anyone has them locally though. Pure Reef maybe.

Hey Jason, Did you get the short rail and the premium hanging kit?

Already had the premium hanging kit. I got the short rail.

Ed,
Are you handy with a drill and a Dremel? You can make a simple canopy mount out of two pieces of 90 degree aluminum bar stock from Lowes .

Cut the two pieces of 90 degree bar stock 2" longer than the inside length of your canopy. Then Dremel off 1" off one side on each end to get the mounting ears. Drill a couple small holes for wood screws in each ear. Bend the mounting ears up. Each ear attaches to the inside left and right side of your canopy with a screw. Attach each mount facing each other, and you have a cradle for your Radions inside the tank canopy you can just place you Radions in, and the lights can slide let or right.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
779750=38337-CIMG4870.jpg
>
779750=38337-CIMG4870.jpg
class="gc-images" title="CIMG4870.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Acroholic;779750 wrote: Ed,
Are you handy with a drill and a Dremel? You can make a simple canopy mount out of two pieces of 90 degree aluminum bar stock from Lowes .

Cut the two pieces of 90 degree bar stock 2" longer than the inside length of your canopy. Then Dremel off 1" off one side on each end to get the mounting ears. Drill a couple small holes for wood screws in each ear. Bend the mounting ears up. Each ear attaches to the inside left and right side of your canopy with a screw. Attach each mount facing each other, and you have a cradle for your Radions inside the tank canopy you can just place you Radions in, and the lights can slide let or right.

Dave, I wouldn't say that I am handy with anything but I think I can do this. I don't own a dremel tool...can I do it with a hack saw? Also, the bar stock comes in 48" and 96". Since my canopy is 48" is there a way to mount the bar stock inside the canopy without creating the ears? Maybe use a second L-shaped piece to mount it?

Edulover;779763 wrote: Dave, I wouldn't say that I am handy with anything but I think I can do this. I don't own a dremel tool...can I do it with a hack saw? Also, the bar stock comes in 48" and 96". Since my canopy is 48" is there a way to mount the bar stock inside the canopy without creating the ears? Maybe use a second L-shaped piece to mount it?

You could do it with a hacksaw. And yes, you don't have to make the ears. Cut the two pieces to the ID of your canopy, and you can buy corner braces at lowes you can use instead of the ears, but you will need some machine screws and nuts and you will need to drill a hole in the aluminum pieces to attach the bracket to the 90 degree aluminum pieces with the machine screws. All this stuff is available at Lowes or HD. Get galvanized or zinc coated brackets, as they are rust resistant for the SW spray.

Also, I would get 1/8" thick aluminum 90 degree bar stock, not the 1/16" thickness. If you choose to get the 1/16" thickness, make sure it is not flimsy in the 48" length. You want proper support for the Radions.

Bracket:

303020_mid_res.jpg
alt="" />

Acroholic;779769 wrote: You could do it with a hacksaw. And yes, you don't have to make the ears. Cut the two pieces to the ID of your canopy, and you can buy corner braces at lowes you can use instead of the ears, but you will need some machine screws and nuts and you will need to drill a hole in the aluminum pieces to attach the bracket to the 90 degree aluminum pieces with the machine screws. All this stuff is available at Lowes or HD. Get galvanized or zinc coated brackets, as they are rust resistant for the SW spray.

Also, I would get 1/8" thick aluminum 90 degree bar stock, not the 1/16" thickness. If you choose to get the 1/16" thickness, make sure it is not flimsy in the 48" length. You want proper support for the Radions.

Bracket:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the help....on my way to Lowes now.

Acroholic;779769 wrote: You could do it with a hacksaw. And yes, you don't have to make the ears. Cut the two pieces to the ID of your canopy, and you can buy corner braces at lowes you can use instead of the ears, but you will need some machine screws and nuts and you will need to drill a hole in the aluminum pieces to attach the bracket to the 90 degree aluminum pieces with the machine screws. All this stuff is available at Lowes or HD. Get galvanized or zinc coated brackets, as they are rust resistant for the SW spray.

Bracket:

I got this...will it work?

untitled.jpg
alt="" />
untitled1.jpg
alt="" />

Back