Moved sump to basement

rhomer

Market
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone I've scavanged parts from to get this working. This weekend I moved my small 20 gallon rubbermaid sump to a 100 gallon (thanks Chris) sump. I hooked up my dynamo pump (thanks David) and my chiller (forgot who sold that to me) it even kicked on a few times this weekend. So far no leaks and the tank inhabitants look quite happy.

I've gone from about 15 gallons in my sump to about 70, I now have quick access to all my equipment, I've stabalized my temperature, and all my crap is in one place.:up:

It seems that my shirmp(s) and lobster seem to be moving around a good bit more and interacting in the tank more.

Quick question: If you can keep your tank at any temp what would be the optimal? So far, I've moved mine down from ~82 to 79. If I could post pics here I would, I might try to post them over at TRT.

Awesome! Let's see some pictures.

If you have trouble with the drag and drop system, just change back over to the basic system (UserCP->Edit Options->[last option on page).

Chris this is how I have it setup, but when I try to attach an image it won't upload it. I never see an image in the attatchment list. The images are plenty small as well, under the height, width, and size. I've tried both firefox and IE.

I can't figure out why some people are having this problem and others aren't. This is basic functionality provided by the forums software, so it all should "just work". I'm going to try a couple of tests...

I'm not that computer savy, but I've had to upload the photos onto photobucket to get the picture attachment feature to work.

wbholwell wrote: I'm not that computer savy, but I've had to upload the photos onto photobucket to get the picture attachment feature to work.

That's great that it works, but a pain in the arse. I'd rather just figure out why the board isn't letting us upload directly.

Interesting I just moved it down to 78 tonight due to previous advice. Anyway here are a few pics to show you what I've done.

Interesting I just moved it down to 78 tonight due to previous advice. Anyway here are a few pics to show you what I've done. The length of that table is 7'.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
15701=1025-IMG_0775.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
15701=1025-IMG_0775.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0775.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

another
15703=1026-IMG_0770.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
15703=1026-IMG_0770.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0770.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
15703=1027-IMG_0771.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
15703=1027-IMG_0771.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0771.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
15703=1028-IMG_0772.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
15703=1028-IMG_0772.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0772.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

one more of the sump
15705=1029-IMG_0773.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
15705=1029-IMG_0773.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0773.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

A couple of shots below the tank now
15707=1030-IMG_0776.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
15707=1030-IMG_0776.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0776.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
15707=1031-IMG_0777.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
15707=1031-IMG_0777.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0777.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
15707=1032-IMG_0778.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
15707=1032-IMG_0778.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_0778.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Wow nice anenomes!!! How do those Via Aqua heaters treat you? I have had 3 of them and all of them have failed within a year or less. I hate them!!! I switched to Visa Therm Stealth's and they rock!

I still have a little work to do. I plan on setting up a pump in my extra water (my leftover mag 9.5 from the previous sump) to provide for easy water changes.
I still need to setup a holding tank for the calcium reactor effluent to measure ph, a bulkhead at the top of the sump with a pipe to the utility sink in case of failure, and I plan on adding ozone to the skimmer.

Rob

Maroons15 wrote: Wow nice anenomes!!! How do those Via Aqua heaters treat you? I have had 3 of them and all of them have failed within a year or less. I hate them!!! I switched to Visa Therm Stealth's and they rock!

I've had the 150 since I gave up on glass heaters midway through 2002. I run 2 of them stair-stepped to reduce issues of failure.

One last pic. This was prior to my move. You will clearly understand my joy.
15724=1036-tour 190.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
15724=1036-tour 190.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="tour 190.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

o Wow I understand now. Im so glad I moved my sump to the room behind the tank or else mine would have looked like that but with a chiller instead of the reactor!

what kind of pump are you using to return from your basement? And what pump is that under the tank? Just a closed circ?

I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing so I would love to know what kind of drop your getting going up from the basement with your pump.

I need about 1400gph return to match what i have now. I wouldn't mind having a bit more though.

thanks and appreciate the pics...

/donny

donnyholland wrote: what kind of pump are you using to return from your basement? And what pump is that under the tank? Just a closed circ?

I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing so I would love to know what kind of drop your getting going up from the basement with your pump.

I need about 1400gph return to match what i have now. I wouldn't mind having a bit more though.

thanks and appreciate the pics...

/donny

Here is a list of equipment:
The return pump is a 3/4 hp dynamo pump (this is way overkill 4200 gph)
CSL T4 pump (1200 gph) for the closed loop viewed under the tank
Hamilton dual 250 watt MH running 20k XM's
2 55 watt PC's running 10k's
1 150 watt titanium heater
1 250 watt titanium heater
Aquanetics 1/3 hp chiller (overkill also)
Aquanetics temperature controller
ASM G2 skimmer with gate valve mod
Reeftek calcium reactor
Milwaukee solinoid
Milwaukee PH controller
100 gallon rubbermaid sump
100 gpd RO/DI running on a T with float valves in a rubbermaid trash container for extra water and a float valve in the main sump
Oh yeah the tank is an All Glass with a single 600 gph overflow
I've had the tank up since March of 2002

I am envious and then some. I have to suffer with a slab and no room behind my aquarium. If only I had more room to put more stuff and a nice work area. This is very nice and a wonderful setup.

Back