Moving to a new tank....

jdabs

Market
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new tank soon and was hoping to get some advise on moving a live tank. I currently have a 45g and would like to use the live rock and sand and fish in it. The tank I'm looking to get is a 100g that also has live rock, sand, corals and fish. :)

I just want to make sure that I'm prepared and was hoping to get some tips as I've never moved a live tank before. Another note is that I want the new tank to be in the same spot as the old one. The move is about a 30-45 minute drive. Thanks everyone!

1st step: make some freah saltwater (50g if you can)

45g. Drain atleast half of the water, more if possible. Now, it is light enough for 2 people to pick up and move. Have a third person move the stand while you move the tank. Refil with the water.

100g. You'll need coolers or other water holding containers. Remove the rock from the tank and place them in the containers. Keep them wet to minimize die-off (it's going to be HOT! Then, take the fish and coral out and put them in coolers. Drain the tank. You can discard this water. If you have large enough containers to submerse the rock, then you're in great shape. You can then scoop out the sand into buckets.

Setting up will be easy since the 45g is out of the way. setup the 100g and get ready to transfer the livestock. If you are using the sand from the 45g, you will need to break down that tank now (rock, fish, then sand). Add the sand to the 100g. Add your LR. Add some tank water from the 45g and some from the 100g (should be inthe rock containers...). Fill the rest with the new water. Add your coral now. Acclimate all of your fish and add them.

Thanks for the great advise Skriz! I wasn't sure if I would need to preserve more of the water from the 100g tank or not. This makes it sound a little easier!

No problem! It's not too bad, but it will take all day to do it right.

You'll need some old water, but not too much. If you get 25g from each tank and the rest new water, you'll be in good shape.

Remember to get the water temp set before dumping your fish in there.

Back