MP40 noise

mike oglesby

Market
Reaction score
We have 4 MP40s. I can adjust them so there is no noise but when they start changing speeds they all rattle. I have adjusted them at low speed and at full speed. The rattle is driving me crazy. Love the power head but can't stand the rattle.
2 are 2 years old. 2 are about 6 months old.
Any ideas ?

Some may have had different experiences, but I've personally NEVER had a silent MP40. That being said... I've only experienced a hum.. not really a rattle. If it is a rattle then I'm betting something isn't lined up right.

SnowManSnow;994220 wrote: If it is a rattle then I'm betting something isn't lined up right.

Yes. Unplug the rattling mp40 and reset the wet and dry side. Probably wasn't seated properly. Should not rattle

When you are adjusting the wet side. I have found it easier to leave it running, and move the wetside slowly left to right, and stop where the sound of the rotating assembly is the most quiet, then up and down, and stop when the sound is once again the most quiet. You should be centered then.

When adjusting, the further off center you are, the worse the sound will be.

Do you mean hum or whine?

Once when I didn't have the impeller (white tip) seated properly after cleaning it made a horrible screeching noise, otherwise the faster mine are turned up the louder the whine....

When was the last time you gave it a good soak in bleach and or vinegar? If it has been a while, they build up algae and calcification over time so the may need cleaned. Also check the tightness of the screw. Mine started rattling recently and the nut was a little too loose. I think the bushing wore down over time.

Back