MP40 Wetside Spinning

rk4435

Market
Reaction score
Actually it's doing all kinds of weird stuff. After shutting it off it may or may not start back. I found plenty of threads on other forums referencing a problem with the inner white whatever it's called. Despite all the troubleshooting I've not been able to make it stop.

Sadly this was an Ebay used purchase rather than an ARC purchase.

Any ideas?

Did you just buy it? There is the 30 day eBay protection...

By inner white thing it sounds like your taking about the center pin the housing fits on? When you take it apart to clean it, be sure the white pin is centered in the hole it's meant to go into.
I would unscrew it and dissemble completely, clean it and carefully reassemble. If your not sure how to put it back together check the Echotech website for the diagram and instructions.
GL

I've pulled it apart multiple times now. I found the easy how to videos and some great threads that show what it should look like good and bad.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly glass thickness setting based on the warning at the beginning of the Vortech manual. I'm trying to figure out my thickness now, that wasn't popping up in the multiple threads though.

This is like Ralphie getting the Red Rider BB gun with no BBs. I've been dying to have a second Vortech so I can do the nifty stuff.

Yes, I did just buy it Camelia, arrived today. I've emailed the seller as well to see if they have any advise.

Bummer but at least your good on the $$$! Worst case senerio is the $5 to ship it back...

I would not think glass thickness would make a 40 run bad but I'm not positive about that.

Maybe Echotech will be open in the morning and you could call to get first hand info!

At least the wetside is the cheapest part if you decide to keep it/get a discount. Not sure how cheap you got it.

It's been hit and miss for me buying used ones. I grabbed one for $250 and it ended up needing a wetside .. that wasn't disclosed....

The best I can get is that it runs for several seconds then simply quits. If I try to change modes at all it quits.

I found a fix though, rebox it and put the Jebao back in.

I'll call Vortech tomorrow and see what they say. My other Vortech is used, it was literally plug and play.

It should be plug and play!!
That one possibly took a swim---- whatever you do don't let the seller off!
It burns me that people think they can get away with ripping others off with no repercussions!
Unfortunately for me they have a lot if opportunity to do so to my properties. I've got 5 lawsuits I intend on filing when I get to them, on principle alone! Others that owe my big from misfortune that were upfront and honest, I will help out and write off to "what goes around comes around"!

Is the problem just the wet side or does the dry side stop spinning too? An MP40 should have a sleeve on it that you can adjust to account for different glass thickness. Is it set for the thickest glass?

The plot thickens. Ecotech customer service was explaining how to set the pin spacing. It made no sense to me because the unit I bought on Ebay did not have the sticker on the dry side that shows how to set it. They asked me to pull my working unit to check for the sticker, which I did.

In the process of switching, mix and matching and trying to troubleshoot now I can't get the dry side pin spacing cover back on the unit that was working due to a bent pin.

Now I have no Vortechs working.

Take a look at the sponge in the wet side. If it's too old it won't grip or grip unevenly. Funny thing is it's happened to me with brand new and pre owned units. If it's still in warrenry call them for a new wet side. If not you might have to replace that part. It's 5.00 from the company. I would borrow someone's back piece and test it first tho .

If you were closer I have so many spare parts you could try to use and or repair with

rk4435;1004035 wrote: The plot thickens. Ecotech customer service was explaining how to set the pin spacing. It made no sense to me because the unit I bought on Ebay did not have the sticker on the dry side that shows how to set it. They asked me to pull my working unit to check for the sticker, which I did.

In the process of switching, mix and matching and trying to troubleshoot now I can't get the dry side pin spacing cover back on the unit that was working due to a bent pin.

Now I have no Vortechs working.

Can you bend the pin back?

Thanks. They are sending me a new pin spacer free of charge but it won't ship until next Monday. I'm afraid that even with the new spacer the original Vortech may not work because it has so much paint chipping off of it that placement of the new part may not be feasible.

My goal was to get the Jebao out of my tank and have the two Vortechs synced. It looks like I am about to get the spare Jebao back into the tank.

I know people who have them swear by them but it seems to me there are lots of issues. People constantly talking about replacing this side or that, all the adjustment to make the work..... On top of that, you can't direct the flow. Not sure why I would want to pay that much money for them other than to say I had them. But that is just me.

I think I'm going in a whole different direction now rdnelson. Looks like I'll just return the bum Vortech to the Ebay seller. Replace the pin spacer (actually a simple rubber cover) on my MP 40 and sell it and get two of the new Jebao that sync. Somehow I'll come out of that with money in my pocket.

I wanted the wires out of my tank, oh well.

rk4435;1004048 wrote: I think I'm going in a whole different direction now rdnelson. Looks like I'll just return the bum Vortech to the Ebay seller. Replace the pin spacer (actually a simple rubber cover) on my MP 40 and sell it and get two of the new Jebao that sync. Somehow I'll come out of that with money in my pocket.

I wanted the wires out of my tank, oh well.

FWIW, I went down this road when I upgraded to my 60 cube. I had my original MP10, a good condition used one, and even bought a third that had some undisclosed issues that I was able to fix. Then the Jebao craze started and I thought man, I could sell all three of these, buy a couple Jebao's, and have a bunch of money left over for other needs. Significant mistake on my part IMO.

I get more flow throughout the tank with the one MP40 than a Jebao WP-25 and WP-10 by far. I was constantly fighting dead spots with he Jebao's. And I had wires in the tank now that I didn't like. I'm much happier with the single 40 than multiple other pumps. The Jebao's needed regular cleaning, like monthly, or its output would be noticeably diminished. I never had that issue with my vortechs.

Rich, the point of the vortechs is you don't need to direct the flow. It has a very broad flow pattern and creates a great undertow. I'll eventually get another MP10/40 but that will simply be because I want one, not that I need one.

On used vortechs. I wouldn't buy one tbh unless it's local and you can inspect/operate to make sure it's in good working condition. Too many people buy them and then don't take the time to align them properly, it takes all of 5-10 minutes max, or they don't protect the dry side/controller from water, or they let the dry side hang there and mess up the cable stress relief. Not aligning them correctly can cause noise issues down the road because it wears out bearings. They'll say they're silent and ship you a racketing mess.

Be patient and buy local. Or wait for a major sale to pick up a new one. I never, and truly mean never, had issues with my new bought MP10. I went down the road you're thinking of and jumped right back on the vortech bandwagon as soon as I could.

rdnelson99;1004046 wrote: I know people who have them swear by them but it seems to me there are lots of issues. People constantly talking about replacing this side or that, all the adjustment to make the work..... On top of that, you can't direct the flow. Not sure why I would want to pay that much money for them other than to say I had them. But that is just me.

You don't direct the flow because it moves the entire body of water. There's a name for it but I'm not as technical as most of the geniuses here. :)

Back