Multi-Channel LED ‘Dream Chip’

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
I recently came across a thread on San Diego reefs forum talking about a multi-channel LED ‘dream chip’ with the following specs:

Channel 1) 10S x 2P 10000K (EPISTAR: 45mils)
Channel 2) 10S x 2P 455nm (EPISTAR: 45mils) (blue, beneficial to chlorophyll C)
Channel 3) 10S x 420nm parallel with 10S x 430nm (EPILED: 45mils) (UV range)
Channel 4) 10S x 2P 445nm (EPISTAR: 45mils) (blue, beneficial to chlorophyll C)
Channel 5) 10S x 2P 15000K (EPISTAR: 45mils)

image001%2520%25284%2529.jpg
alt="" />

Each channel can be run by itself. It is manufactured by AC-RC which is a known eBay seller from HK and is only available privately or via group buy. It comes in a 50w or 100w configuration.
SD Reefer recently had a group buy for the 50w version.
I have contacted AC-RC and they are willing to do another one if we get 50 or more. I have forwarded the info to Seth. Please show interest on this thread.

->
showthread.php

brchapm;819563 wrote: I havent gone through all 37 pages on the link yet, but would you have a ballpark estimate on what one of these would cost?

Looks like $64 for the 50W and $125 for the 100W.
showthread.php

Well now.. that is very very interesting... :)

Having 5 separate circuits might make it interesting from a LED driver perspective.

I have been contemplating doing a fan-less 50W LED pendant style fixture using a large heatsink like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-up-to-50W-Watt-LED-Aluminium-Heatsink-Round-XL-10W-20W-30W-45W-50W-/150887309111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2321959f37">http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-pc-up-to-50W-Watt-LED-Aluminium-Heatsink-Round-XL-10W-20W-30W-45W-50W-/150887309111?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2321959f37</a>

I may be interested in somewhere between 3 to 6 of these LEDs...

kevinbeth;819643 wrote: Still new at this. Is just 100 led's wired into one chip?

Yes, you can see the individual 'led's' in the picture above.

I may be interested as well, depending on price.

I'm wondering if we can get the price down to (or below?) $1 per watt, if we buy 50+ ?

ronreef;819642 wrote: Come on over! If you have any questions, we welcome them.

Best Regards,
Ron

Ron,

Is this 5 channel driver assembly available?

http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?94760-DIY-Multichip-LED-Build&p=765429#post765429">http://www.sandiegoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?94760-DIY-Multichip-LED-Build&p=765429#post765429</a>

If there is an (English-speaking) thread on it, that would be great too. :)

What would be the advantage over a diy build with roughly 55 3w led's? It seems if they are individual and you have trouble with one led you could replace it. In a multichip if one goes out does the whole row go out as well? Im wondering over a 5 foot tank like mine with 4 100w chips would the spread be as good as individual leds spread out.

Whew... Lots of potential, this..

I'm about 15 pages into the SDR thread, and I am intrigued.

I did a 6 x 50W LED (3 x 16k and 3 x 455nm) build earlier this year that I never got around to putting in place, so I might be able to re-use a lot of the work I did earlier for this.

Wow, I just seen this post. I"m going to finish reading all the threads later tonight. So far, I find it very intriguing. Like Giuliano, I too have been experimenting with 50 watt LED's.

So far I can say I've been very successful with my experiment.

I'm currently running 600 watts of the 50 watt LED's. I have a combo of 20k whites and 460-470 blues. 400 watts of all LEDS's on one side of the tank and a Combo of 200 watts and 250 Watt Radium MH's on the other side.

This stuff really works and the cost is reasonable. I'd like to take it a step further by testing these new LED's. I'm very interested in this group buy.

Please keep me posted!!!

Here's some pic's of my TEST LED lighting to prove it.........Here's the dem's on my tank 96"x30"x24".
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
819695=41443-50 Watters Top.jpg
>
819695=41443-50 Watters Top.jpg
class="gc-images" title="50 Watters Top.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
819695=41442-50 Watters.jpg
>
819695=41442-50 Watters.jpg
class="gc-images" title="50 Watters.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
819695=41444-Combo of 50 Watt Led's 250 Watt Radiums.jpg
>
819695=41444-Combo of 50 Watt Led's 250 Watt Radiums.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Combo of 50 Watt Led's 250 Watt Radiums.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
819695=41445-Top of Comba 50 Watters and MH's.jpg
>
819695=41445-Top of Comba 50 Watters and MH's.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Top of Comba 50 Watters and MH's.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I ended up using some 60 degree optics, the lens is about the size of my fist.

They'll do just fine on 100W LEDs too...

That's the good thing about these multiarray led chips, they're all the same size and shape.

Makes for a relatively interchangeable design capability.

Amici;819701 wrote: Well Hanin you know my love for 50w chips so count me in for at least 2 of the 50w. I have to say I will probably throw optics on there so I can raise them and optics on a 100w chip just scares me....

Have you tested par? Have meter will travel! Would love to check out the set-up.
Oh yea....I have a par meter....I get 300 at the sand and 500 -650 at top. My LED rack is 9 to 9.5' from the surface of the water. My tank is 24" deep . This is without reflectors or lenses. I have 60 and 90 degree lenses and reflectors and when installed I can clearly get 400 par at the sand. I'm choosing not to use the lenses and reflectors, I find they are useful for deeper depths.

I believe after discussing this with the manufacture the LED's default at 120 degrees. This gives me a good spread with minimal gaps.

I've had these LED'S on my system for almost 6 month now. I have lot's of SPS under the LED'S and LPS too. All my coral show great color and growth.

I'm extremely please so far....I'm testing a combination of drivers mostly meanwell drivers. I'm still working on getting the 1-10 V PWM dimming functionality working with the APEX.

Edit:
ronreef;819706 wrote: On the main thread on SDreefs, there are plans for a 5 channel contoller/driver. Nothing concrete yet. A few of the members are pushing forward with a design.

As for the Swedish controller/driver, it's in the testing phase and could be available. It depends on the owner of the design. There are so many options available.

Personally, I'm using the Neptun Apex with 1-10V controlled constant current drivers. It works for me and is a much quicker solution. Depends how involved you want to get.

Best Regards,
Ron

Ron, what drivers are you using?

ronreef;819706 wrote: On the main thread on SDreefs, there are plans for a 5 channel contoller/driver. Nothing concrete yet. A few of the members are pushing forward with a design.

As for the Swedish controller/driver, it's in the testing phase and could be available. It depends on the owner of the design. There are so many options available.

Personally, I'm using the Neptun Apex with 1-10V controlled constant current drivers. It works for me and is a much quicker solution. Depends how involved you want to get.

Best Regards,
Ron

Yeah, I went with a Meanwell 185W constant current dimmable driver, to power 3 x 50W LEDs in parallel, using the Meanwell HLG-185H-36B.

I also added 1.5A quick-blow fuses in serial for each 50W LED chip.

I also saw somewhere in those threads a mention of a current balancing circuit, I may have to see about integrating that.

I'm running Meanwell HLG-240h-36B's with I think a 1.6 or 1.7 inline fuse on ea. LED.

I thought some of you will get intrigued ;)
Personally, I think 5 channel is a bit of an over kill, unless you have a controller that can run it efficiently. I would probably run both blue together and all the rest together effectively making it 2 channels.
Doesn't look like we would be getting anywhere near 50 to make it happen. I do have another seller I'm communicating with regarding a hybrid 100w blue/white chip that can run each channel separately.

haninja;819779 wrote: I thought some of you will get intrigued ;)
Personally, I think 5 channel is a bit of an over kill, unless you have a controller that can run it efficiently. I would probably run both blue together and all the rest together effectively making it 2 channels.
Doesn't look like we would be getting anywhere near 50 to make it happen. I do have another seller I'm communicating with regarding a hybrid 100w blue/white chip that can run each channel separately.
I agree...5 channels is a bit to much and I would do the same. However I have some concerns but I haven't yet completed reading all the threads.

I contacted all the chip manufactures directly from the list on ebay. I was able to work out a deal with them by just emailing back an forth. After paying the invoice with paypal, I had the product at my door step in 7 days. I can tell you from what they told me "the more you buy the cheaper the price" :)

Oh and by the way, sometimes it takes them a while to respond. I caught them during "Chinese New Year" they didn't respond for a week and I thought they were ignoring me.

haninja;819779 wrote: I thought some of you will get intrigued ;)

I would probably be in for a few pending final price.

Back