Dream Chip LEDs with Arduino

Certainly worth trying.

I should be able to pry off one connector and shorten the cable.

Good news: My LDD-1000H drivers finally shipped.

Bad news: I'll be out of town next week when they arrive...

GiulianoM;854855 wrote: Good news: My LDD-1000H drivers finally shipped.

Bad news: I'll be out of town next week when they arrive...

I hate it when that happens. I would say you're still waiting on boards, but you had some of the older ones on hand didn't you?

Any word on the new ones?

jbadd99;854865 wrote: I hate it when that happens. I would say you're still waiting on boards, but you had some of the older ones on hand didn't you?

Any word on the new ones?

Still waiting on boards - I believe they're still in production, haven't shipped yet.

And I do still have the old boards, but I can't use them - the original design called for holes that were drilled too small for the connectors.

They make decent coasters, though...

Oh how I need to start ordering my led parts. It was great to meet you at the social gathering the other night, also thank you for the wealth of knowledge in this thread.

Sharkbait;855118 wrote: Oh how I need to start ordering my led parts. It was great to meet you at the social gathering the other night, also thank you for the wealth of knowledge in this thread.

You are welcome, and it was nice meeting you also at the meeting.

Though I am pretty sure we had met before at previous meetings... :)

GiulianoM;855151 wrote: You are welcome, and it was nice meeting you also at the meeting.

Though I am pretty sure we had met before at previous meetings... :)

Probably true but I can be absent minded every now and then. So you are still waiting on your correct boards to be made and shipped? I figure with me not having to make a DUO controller that will cut down on cost. Although like I said the other night I am still debating weather I want to make three to go over each of my openings or just make four and evenly space them out over the entire length of the tank.

The new PCBs arrived today!

nRT7O8ml.jpg
alt="" /></a>

nKHy8vvl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Good news, the connectors fit the boards. :)

I have all the other parts for these boards except the LDD drivers themselves, and the sockets that they go in.. both should arrive next week when I'm out of town. :)

GiulianoM;855338 wrote: The new PCBs arrived today!

nRT7O8ml.jpg
alt="" /></a>

nKHy8vvl.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Good news, the connectors fit the boards. :)

I have all the other parts for these boards except the LDD drivers themselves, and the sockets that they go in.. both should arrive next week when I'm out of town. :)

Woohoo! It sucks we both have to wait ;)

At this point my last holdup is the boards to get the LEDs fired up. Controller project will be starting this week as well.

So it's been a little while since I've done anything with this..

I bought a Raspberri Pi microcomputer board to use for controlling my 3D printer, and I am surprised at what it can do compared to an Arduino.

So I may be reconsidering using the arduino as a LED controller, and just use a Pi instead.

Most likely as a headless controller, with a web interface.

And because its Linux based and has a powerful chip, I can also use it to control things like a webcam... :)

I like the fact with the pi boards you can run fully embedded java they are pretty powerful little boards

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, and with a lot of accessory boards using I2C protocol, you can daisy chain a lot of add-ons...

Yea tons of add ons. Built one for work that it basically takes a old tape back up robot that you had to go out and had tell it what to do very limited automation. Now its fully automated via the a web interface. I just bought two ever grow full spectrum LEDs 120w manual dimming. I am looking at taking the manual dimmers out putting in pwm dimmers to control with my apex just can't make up my mind if I want to go with two 120w dimmers and tie the two boxes together or four 60 watt to keep them separate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

cotton101;882098 wrote: Did you ever finish it??

I never finish anything!

lol..

No, not yet.

I've been working on rebuilding my 3D printer first.

I think of be jealous if I saw all your toys, good luck with build.
I'm just concerned with those chips, I think they need to be underpowered a lot from what I've read, I'll be following good luck.
I'll be starting my build here soon

I'm underpowering them on purpose, with a max of 1 amp per channel instead of 1.4 A...

Thought I'd post a little update...

Nothing has changed. :)

However, I did come across this thread in RC that has me interested:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2310459">http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2310459</a>

Basically, the O2Surplus guy - who designed many of the 4-up and 5-up LDD driver boards - is working on a new driver board assembly based off an A6211 chip that can drive DreamChip LEDs up to the maximum supported current of 1400 mA instead of the 1000 mA that the LDD-1000H's provide.

He's got one circuit board that basically plugs into the same socket layout as the LDD-1000H, which is cool for swapping out existing drivers.

He's also got an all-in-one style board in the works, complete with 5 drivers, an Arduino chip, among other things.

Interesting stuff. :)

darrrenjmartin;906868 wrote: Is anyone familiar with DMX stage lighting control? eBay example 350753317258

They're not suitable for this application - not enough voltage output, and not enough channels.

The control mechanism looks... challenging.

a>

Back