Multiple angle fish in a tank.

tsunami

Market
Reaction score
<span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">A crazy idea was thrown out here about a couple weeks ago about keeping multiple angle fish in a tank. Just to pick up…..Is anyone doing this? From what I read, it seems something like tangs if you have different species and 3 to 5 of them it should be ok. I think it would be really nice to have a flame, coral beauty, potter’s, and another angel in a tank. Also, for people that have done this, what size tank do ya’ll have? Is it like 8 feet long and 6 deep. Thanks. Yeah I realize this breaks the angel fish rule, but I’m a little curious. </span></span>

I was curious about this because I didn't know what an Angle fish was. When I started reading I picked up the Angel idea real quick. lol

LOL Jeff...

Well, We will be having one of the formost experts on Angel fish coming to speak to the club in April (I know, plug for the club). You might want to hold off some of those questions till then.

Speaking in general, You do not want to mix Angels in tanks. People have done it in large tanks or gotten lucky in smaller tanks but from what I know, it is rare that it works out. Angels are one of those fish that will kill its look alike. Try to put a mirror next to your tank with an angel in there and see what happends...

I say throw them in and report back what happens. Nothing like first had experience on a subject like this. You could section them off via acrylic and see if they go at each other relatively safely.

I have a regal, golden, and lemark all in one tank and they never mess with each other. Even when I had the 240. The regal will be gone soon because I enjoys eating my LPS's though.

I have a bicolor and a potter's angel in my 72 bowfront. They were added at the same time, and there's lots of LR in the tank. At first the bicolor chased the potter's a bit, but there were plenty of caves for the potter's to dart into. After a few weeks they got along great.

I would think with a tank your size, as long as you have plenty of LR, and if you add the fish at the same time (or the larger ones last) they should be okay. Of course each fish is unique, so you'll definitely want to keep an eye on them. I wouldn't try it unless you are willing to go through the effort of removing a hostile fish if it becomes necessary.

Thanks everyone. I'll give it some more thought and might go and just do it and rescue, if it looks like it isn't going to work. I'll keep ya'll posted.

I have a Flame and Lemon Peel in my 120 for about a year now...no problems. They've never shown any aggression towards each other that I'm aware of. The Flame has been in the tank for about 2 years but the Lemon wasn't added until about a year ago.

I visited a LFS and saw a fish swimming around the tank inside a plastic hamster ball. Of course I had to ask why, lol. They said it was so they could keep an eye on the compatibility of the fish without them being able to harm one another. An added benefit was that it was super easy to remove the fish if necessary! ;)

Maybe this type of approach would work for the angels?

Back