My 120 Timeline w/Pics

maveri9720

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have some time right now, even though it is 12:40am, so I thought I would finally post some progression pics of my 120 set-up. It is WAY overdue, but better late than never. Hope I don't bore you all too much.

Here we go:

I bought the tank and stand from Tony in Oct and he was kind enough to help me gather what I needed and help me plumb it up and fix some leaks and get it all up and running. (Thanks again Tony)

It's a 120g, Dual Corner Overflows w/Durso Stand Pipes on an Oak Stand.

Equipment:

- 2 x BlueLine HD 55 external pumps for Skimmer and Return
- Custom Acrylic Sump by MyReefCreations
- MRC-2 Skimmer w/W-4 Waste Container
- Jager 150w Heater
- Tunze 6000

I used 4" PVC to make my rock stands with and then used purple primer to color them to help them blend in easier.

After about 3 different complete rockscape builds and teardowns, I finally settled on what you see.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
11363=819-Tank 1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11363=819-Tank 1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 1.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11363=820-Tank 2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11363=820-Tank 2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 2.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11363=822-Tank 3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11363=822-Tank 3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 3.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11363=821-Tank 4.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11363=821-Tank 4.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 4.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11363=823-Tank 5.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11363=823-Tank 5.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 5.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11363=824-Tank 6.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11363=824-Tank 6.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 6.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11363=825-Tank 7.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11363=825-Tank 7.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 7.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Here's some more pics and updates:

The first two show you the ample space I have on the sandbed for clams and for swimming room, etc.

The next one shows the skimmer in action.

Following that, is a side shot into the stand. I had to cut a hole out of the side of the stand, b/c I couldn't get the top of the skimmer out, nor could I get the waste container out of the front of the stand, b/c the sump was too tall.

Then a pic of the door I turned it into.

After that, are pics of my quarantine tank I have set-up.

It's a 29g w/stand and light.

Equipment for QT:

- Aquaclear 50 HOB Filter
- Maxi-Jet 400 PH
- Jager 100w Heater
- ReefKeeper II to control the lighting, temp, pumps and monitor PH level
11367=828-Tank 10.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11367=828-Tank 10.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 10.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11367=829-Tank 11.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11367=829-Tank 11.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 11.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11367=830-Tank 12.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11367=830-Tank 12.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 12.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11367=831-Tank 13.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11367=831-Tank 13.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 13.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11367=826-Tank 8.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11367=826-Tank 8.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 8.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11367=827-Tank 9.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11367=827-Tank 9.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 9.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Now that brings us up to the current.

I have in my main tank:

- Yellow Watchman Goby
- Pearly Jawfish
- Cleaner Shrimp

The YWG is kinda hard to see, but you can still make him out.

Friday, I am planning on picking up 2 Ocellaris Clownfish that will be quarantined for awhile.

Surprisingly, the shrimp is probably the coolest and is definitely the most active and out in the open to be watched. The jawfish hides alot, likes to poke his head up and watch what I am doing. He is very cool too, especially when he starts digging around. The YWG is coming around now and starting to be more open. He likes to watch what's going on too. Very fun and exciting stuff for me.
11368=832-Tank 14.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11368=832-Tank 14.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 14.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11368=833-Tank 15.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11368=833-Tank 15.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 15.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
11368=834-Tank 16.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
11368=834-Tank 16.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Tank 16.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

And future plans:

Equipment I have waiting around:

- Tunze 6100 (waiting on getting a magnet and Multi-controller)

No real hurry on this b/c there is plenty of flow in there. Will wait until I start putting corals in there to worry about adding the 6100, unless I find a good deal somewhere, of course.

- 2 x 250 metal halides w/ Icecap 250 ballasts and reflectors w/Moon-Light LEDS in them

They are waiting on me to build the canopy for the tank. I hope to start building it within a week. I also have some fans waiting to go in there, along with an Icecap 660 for supplemental lighting. Haven't decided which way to go with the supplements yet, will wait and see what the MH's look like first.

The Reefkeeper will transfer over from the QT to the main tank when the Clownfish do. Right now, I have a Ranco single stage controller controlling my heater in the 120, so I don't have to worry about the heater malfunctioning and cooking my tank. I will then swap the RKII for the Ranco controller when the Clowns move over.

I also just bought and hooked up an Oceanus Systems ATO unit. It is the Proteus model and I love it. It's so convenient and I have only been doing this a short time, but everyday, I would have to top off about 1 1/2 - 2 gallons, but now I just need to refill the ATO container once a week and the water level says constant. It also has a low level sensor that will shut off my return pump if the water level gets too low in the sump and a high level shut off that will shut off the pump supplying water from the ATO container to the sump if the water level gets too high. I love it!

My fish list consists of:

- 2 Ocellaris Clownfish
- 3 Carpenter Flasher Wrasses (1 male / 2 Female)
- 1 YWG
- 1 Pearly Jawfish
- 1 Tailspot Blenny
- 1 Sleeper Banded Goby
- 1 Kole Tang
- 1 Neon Goby

Then a couple cleaner shrimp and a bunch of snails.

I guess that's about it. Thanks for hanging in there with me and I hope you enjoyed it.

I'm not sure what type of stand it is. All I know is that it is oak and that I painted it black. It was already black, but needed another coat and I didn't like the finish of the original paint job, so I re-painted it semi-flat.

That is a beautiful set up. What type of substrate did you go with? I like the lighter color. It looks much better than the Live Sand I bought for my 55g.

I am pretty sure it is Carib-Sea dry sand. I think it was considered base sand or something like that, b/c it is bigger than the Oolitic? sand which is sugar fine.

I got it over at Marine Fish and I have some leftover in my attic, which I will be adding soon, so when I grab it, I will let you know for sure.

So where's the updated pics? It has been almost two months since an update!

Yea, I know, I want to wait until I am done with my canopy and can turn the MH's on to take pics. Also, I have a couple fish to move over to the tank from the QT once the canopy is finished.

I should be done in less than a week.

chop chop!!!
:)

Hey! While youre at it... go ahead and make a canopy for my 120 and my 156.

One thing I noticed is the Jawfish. These guys are notorious jumpers, I've managed to lose a couple even with lids on the tank. I had about 2" where my lids wouldn't cover because of my overflow and I lost 2 through that very small crack.

Rob

Ooooooooo, can I please? This is sooooo much fun.

It's easy to build it, but it takes forever to finish it. Painting sux!

rhomer wrote: One thing I noticed is the Jawfish. These guys are notorious jumpers, I've managed to lose a couple even with lids on the tank. I had about 2" where my lids wouldn't cover because of my overflow and I lost 2 through that very small crack.

Rob

I think it is either hit or miss with them. I have so much rockwork for him to escape too and since my rocks are lifted off of the sand, he has all that space to retreat to, so he doesn't feel the need to swim all the way to the top and out. He's been a great fish. He has holed up right in front of the tank and is very curious as to what's going on outside of the tank. Very cool fish, very entertaining. And also, there is only a Yellow Watchman Goby, one small False Perc and 1 Cleaner and Fire Shrimp in the tank with him along with some snails, so nobody harasses him or spooks him.

Alot of fish are deemed notorious jumpers, but if they have the right environment, they won't jump out. Also depends alot on their individual temperment and personality. I know my Flasher Wrasses in my QT are super high strung and they ping around the tank when I come near or try to feed them, so they will definitely need the canopy once they go to the main tank.

I will have a mesh screen across the back of my canopy to keep my little jumpers in the tank where they belong. Other than that, there SHOULDN'T be any other way for them to get out. But we have all heard the magical escaping fish stories.........

I was just going to ask what you had in the quarantine tank now but you answered that already. Tank looks awesome and is coming along nicely. How is the clown?

Hey Shawn, what's up? Haven't heard from you in alittle while. The clown is doing well, along with everything else, so I'm happy.

I just saw you got yourself a nice free Kenya tree, good for you.

I'll have to come over sometime when you have time and check out the tank.

Hopefully within a week I will be ready for corals, so Ill take you up on your offers when you are ready.

Keep in touch.

I see the plastic you painted for support of the live rock. Kind of paint? Size of plastic pipe? Looks like standard PVC? How did you stack the rock on that plastic support? Need the details. Looks like you could keep the water flow going and eliminate dead spots with plenty of water movement. Gave me some good ideas.
Thanks.

Joe

I'm at work right now, but I just answered those questions in another thread on another forum.

Here's the link: http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?p=944246#post944246">http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?p=944246#post944246</a>

Read it and you can see my pics and all.

The primer is Oater's Purple Primer, found at Home Depot.

Sorry for linking to a thread on another forum, but I explained everything there and have my pics uploaded to it and all.

Back