My Alien Eye BTA is dying

ActiveAngel

Contest Committee Lead
Supporting
Contest Committee
Reaction score
My Alien Eye (Flame Tip) BTA is dying! He’s been looking terrible for the past day or so, and I don’t know what is going on.

He is disintegrating fast and I don’t think there’s anything I can do. You can even see right through him. Perhaps the cyano (from using Vibrant) released toxins in the small nano tank. I just did a water change a couple days ago, so I was not expecting this. So for today, I just put in a small media bag with some activated carbon, just in case.

AC1B9217-BB09-467E-AB4B-BA797D872D34.jpeg

JUST KIDDING!

It honestly got me a little nervous at first, even after years of owning nems (currently I have 10 BTAs, three of which are about to split). But after 30-60 minutes, I confirmed he was in fact just splitting, albeit in a brutal way compared to my other Nems. That was all last night. This morning he is already fluffing up slowly.

31E6E6A7-F58D-4D4B-80A9-5B1B6BDA7C17.jpeg53E391B6-4438-4CA8-B490-2D868B1C5F4C.jpeg

I wanted to post this, as a reference for people new to Anemones, especially Bubble Tips. They are not for the faint-of-heart, and require serious consideration before putting them in a Reef tank. Unlike corals, you cannot control nems and they risk killing everything in your tank.

But if you do have one, and they experience similar behavior, there’s not much you can do. Try to address the issues, but oftentimes, you just have to wait and observe and cross your fingers.

I’m not out-of-the-woods yet. It is possible he was stressed or dying and that caused the split. So I still have to observe. But with my experience and continued observation, I’m optimistic now.

Sorry if I tricked or worried anyone. But I think this is a good topic for beginners to consider regarding Nems.

Where did you get these from? I’d love to find something that’s different from all the regular red or rainbows but not crazy money like a Colorado or Chicago.

The person I got them from sold them all long ago. The first one available will go back to him.

Haha... so one of the halves continued to look terrible. I didn’t get any photos of it at its worst. However, it was doing a 3-way split.

81D53BD3-2EFA-4910-B5DD-EC98BE91ED38.jpeg
935F744C-9C13-4EBD-9EA2-2EF03F09D1C3.jpeg

Now they all look happy!

My plan is the same. Let them heal up and grow for a week or so. Then slowly introduce one to a sunburst and rainbow BTAs. Then cross my fingers, wait, and watch.

Back