My clowns are acting weird...thoughts?

todd03blown

Market
Reaction score
This morning when I feed my fish a few minutes later my small clown started to shake a little bit (he looked like he was vibrating for a couple seconds at a time). He did this for about 2 minutes then stopped. Any one ever seen this type of behavior before? My big clown started to do it as well but only one time. they all ate good this morning and are very active. I will test my water when I get home this evening.

hahahaha, no kidding?

Man I was flipping out this morning.....I was like **** my fish are going to die!!

Thanks, I feel so much better!!

Yes, just sounds like hosting behavior. Totally normal.. you might keep an eye out for eggs soon :)

What you should do:
1) Turn lights down low. Moonlights only would be better.
2) Put on Luther Vandross or Barry White.
3) Order some Rod's Reef from room service...
4) Enjoy! :)

HA!

Mine were doing the same thing yesterday..

I bought two males that were the same size.. now one is slightly larger than the other (i assume that one has become female - can't clowns change sex?)

I'll keep an eye out..

If you bought them from a tank that had several clowns then they probably weren't even males yet. Clowns go from unsexed, to male to female. In a group tank the dominant one will be the female and will continue to grow larger than the rest, the second most dominant will become the male and the rest will be neither. it's usually better if you get two from a group tank to get one clearly larger than the other. That way they both accept their roles and won't have to fight for dominance. If you get them the same size then they will continue to fight until there is a clear winner and a clear loser or they go to opposite ends of the tank and stay away from each other. Unfortunately if they are evenly matched one or both could end up damamged or worse.

It would seem yours has settled the dispute and yes the larger one will be or is the female.

The shimmy is usually done by the male at the female's approch as a sign of acceptance of her dominance and rather than attack she will acknowledge by shimmying back.

Rbredding;550044 wrote: HA!

Mine were doing the same thing yesterday..

I bought two males that were the same size.. now one is slightly larger than the other (i assume that one has become female - can't clowns change sex?)

I'll keep an eye out..

check,

check,

check...

I've had them for about 6 months... they "sleep" in different areas, but when they're awake.. they are side by side..

I've got a GBTA that I'll be adding to the tank in about a week.

will the GBTA (assuming they host it) promote the spawning cycle?
-I ask that because Im sure they'll feel safer after they have hosted an anemone..

Thanks Bud.

Says he has not been on since January of 09. His tanks was awesome!

Not necessarilly depending on their age. I think they need to be at least a year old, both matured into male and female, bond as a pair and then start the nesting activity. If these are percula or ocellaris clowns then a GBTA is not a known host anemone to them so it may take a while before one of them figures that out. Once that happens if they are male and female they will have a better chance of being an actual bonding pair.

Rbredding;550189 wrote: check,

check,

check...

I've had them for about 6 months... they "sleep" in different areas, but when they're awake.. they are side by side..

I've got a GBTA that I'll be adding to the tank in about a week.

will the GBTA (assuming they host it) promote the spawning cycle?
-I ask that because Im sure they'll feel safer after they have hosted an anemone..

Thanks Bud.

Budsreef;550222 wrote: Not necessarilly depending on their age. I think they need to be at least a year old, both matured into male and female, bond as a pair and then start the nesting activity. If these are percula or ocellaris clowns then a GBTA is not a known host anemone to them so it may take a while before one of them figures that out. Once that happens if they are male and female they will have a better chance of being an actual bonding pair.
they are Ocellaris..

Its not a goal for them to spawn, I just was curious..

Ace of Spades;550207 wrote: Holy two year old thread Batman. Whatever happened to Todd and that sweet *** ELOS mini?
I actually searched the topic so i wouldn't have to endure the "we've already got a thread on this" posts...
:D

Back