My clowns have laid eggs!!!!!

fancyfish

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone local breed clowns? if so my clowns laid eggs yesterday and I am wondering if there is some way to save the potential offspring and give them a chance to live. I know nothing about raising clowns and really do not want to get in the habit of raising them.
Here are a couple of pictures
egg7.jpg
alt="" />
prouddad.jpg
alt="" />
eggcellent.jpg
alt="" />
mommy3.jpg
alt="" />

Congrats! I also have a mated pair of clowns. They laid eggs in the previous owners tank but not mine yet. You got the hard part out of the way! Getting them to lay eggs. Those guys are now worth some $. Buy the book called " CLOWNFISHES" by Joyce D. Wilkerson. It tells you everything on how to care for the eggs and have a good successful survival rate. Hope that helps you out.

Thanks Justin. I actually have been asked to sell them. I posted this on reef central and have 2 requests!!! not sure I am willing to part with them. Just out of curiosity how much would/should I sell them for if I choose to do so?

If I were you I would keep them. A friend of mine had some that laid eggs every 2-3weeks and was able to get close to 10 that survived! He sold them to 15.00 each for the babys. I would say with the anomone an easy 100-150 for the pair. Plus I think it is cool to have any saltwater fish breed in captivity. Think about before you sell them. Did anyone offer you $ for them?

Yes I was offered money but I did turn them down. I will read up on raising them and potentially set up a breeding tank

sweet, post some more great pics as the eggs mature. Its neat seeing them grow!

Congrats on the impending offspring! It was nice meeting you today, the trip home took half the time, thanks to your husbands directions......

Dakota nice meeting you as well. glad to see your ride home was uneventful. enjoy the stand. I will post pics as I see them grow. Happy reefing

Nice! Congrats! I've never tried raising mine. They all just end of as fish food. Good luck with yours! :)

Congrats!
My pair lay eggs every 2 weeks like clock work. I have yet to see any hatchlings survive tho... Come to think of it, never seen em hatch. I think they're a snack for the other fishies!

as long as about the same amount is there the first time you discovered them leave em in the tank. But if it looks like the orange patch is getting smaller you might want to think about transfering them to another tank. Did you pick up that book? "Clownfishes"

Not yet justin. Unfortunately I work alot and over the past 2 days have already worked 24 hours. I will try over the weekend.

Congrats. I know that raising clowns is a lot of hard work. You can listen to TalkingReef podcast... Rob has one on Clowns (recenlty).

By the way, those are AWESOME Pics

Back