my coral is bleaching out

tattoocliff

Reaction score
can somebody help me, my torch, frogspawn,and hammers are getting bleached out.
and I dont know why. can someone help me please.
It started when I put in new mh bulbs, corallife 175 watt 20k
I have a phosband reactor.
corallife skimmer, uv sterilizer also corallife,
2 sets of t5,s , plenty of current.
everything looks happy, but they are turning white. even my rosebubble is turning.

You may need to reduce the photoperiod, but be sure to check all other parameters too especially salinity, ph, and alk.

also check your salinity i lost a very expecive coral cause of my salinity change good luck and keep us updated ...and also lower your photo period

please post all of your current Parems. It's always hard to really say for sure, but it will be quite impossible sitting here 50 or so miles away in front of my PC explaining what is happening to your corals.

How long is the tank up?
How long have you had the corals?
What did you change the lights from?
What is in your phosphate reactor? How much? How long running? when did you change it last?
List your Fish:

PH:
Salinity:
Ammonia:
Nitrates:
Phosphates:
ALK:
Temp:
Mag:

Thanks!

tattoocliff;212334 wrote: It started when I put in new mh bulbs

That kind of says it all to me... Try some light acclimation techniques, like shortening your photo period (as mentioned), raising the lights high up and slowly lowering them, or shading with layers of window screen.

Or move your corals under ledges if you can.

That's the most obvious, but folks are right--alk, temp, ph, salinity, etc., can all affect bleaching. But I've seen that happen more with SPS than LPS, which tend to be more resilient to everything but high intensity lighting.

All my tests come back good,
ph-8.3
amm.-0
alk.- 11
nitrate- a little high, but not much
nitite-0
sal.-.24
temp. between 76-79
calc.- 420
I think i will change the photo period, it may be on tolong.
my tank has been up and running for 7 months now.
lights are 12 on and 12 off, on timers.
thanks for everyones help,
and I will let you know the outcome, again thank for your help.

yeah, i'd say it's the 12 on 12 off with new, higher intensity lighting.

It is your lighting, I not too long ago added MH lighting to my tank and had a very nice large hammerhead in the tank very soon it started to bleach out and soon was 3/4 white. I have since moved it to my 20 gal with lower light and it has come back and looks great! Soo don't worry it can get better!!

Back