My friends think I'm insane, maybe I am

That’s pretty awesome. Although it definitely looks like he’s trying to figure out if he can crack open your fingernails and eat what’s inside lol

A lady marine biologist I read about, that researches mantis shrimp, said she used to hand feed them. After getting her fingers split & stabbed multiple times, she no longer does it 🤤

have you been punched before?
No this was my first attempt. I've had this peacock mantis for a few weeks now and I have never heard or seen her snap once the entire time so I'm pretty confident in her demeanor.

Meanwhile my wennerae mantis I've had for 2 years is an absolute death machine and I would never, ever put my hand in front of it even though it's half her size, because I know it's going to hit me.

No this was my first attempt. I've had this peacock mantis for a few weeks now and I have never heard or seen her snap once the entire time so I'm pretty confident in her demeanor.

Meanwhile my wennerae mantis I've had for 2 years is an absolute death machine and I would never, ever put my hand in front of it even though it's half her size, because I know it's going to hit me.
Hey, like people have said before: “my dog doesn’t bite”. Until it did……

Yeah… your friends are right 😂

No way would I put my hand in that tank. The fact they pack the punch of a 22 caliber bullet is enough for me. I’m good. At the end of the day it’s a shrimp. I don’t think they have capacity to distinguish friend vs foe.

Yeah… your friends are right 😂

No way would I put my hand in that tank. The fact they pack the punch of a 22 caliber bullet is enough for me. I’m good. At the end of the day it’s a shrimp. I don’t think they have capacity to distinguish friend vs foe.

That is absolutely a myth, it's not nearly that strong. My wennerae hits the glass of the tank all the time and it does nothing except make loud noises. Can't even get through a trochus snail shell.

Yeah. Thats pretty stupid. And yes mantis shrimp do have the strongest punch... Do you also eat tide pods? Asking for a friend

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk

Ultimately it's up to you to assess the risk regardless of what we think. Very cool and curious Mantis. @ichthyoid , I would think avoiding having a Mantis shrimp associate one's hand with food would be the better idea to avoid getting hurt, but your cautionary tale is ultimately what can happen with any of these creatures..

With an acceleration rate which causes water to spontaneously cavitate, and generates forces exceeding 500 Newtons (KgM/S^2), I’m not doing any experiments using my appendages, thank you. They are still wild animals and subject to their own whims.

Aka- thumb splitter

With an acceleration rate which causes water to spontaneously cavitate, and generates forces exceeding 500 Newtons (KgM/S^2), I’m not doing any experiments using my appendages, thank you. They are still wild animals and subject to their own whims.

Aka- thumb splitter

That was the most in-depth and nerdy response! Love it 😂😂

Aka- thumb splitter

Yes but the acceleration is over such a short distance. The peak velocity is about 20 m/s for an appendage that weighs grams. Just think about newton's third law here. The mantis shrimp isn't flying backwards after a strike and this is an animal that is very, very light and does not have a good way to anchor itself. The force number is high sure, but calculating the force requires you to know the impulse or the time estimated for the appendage to stop moving after striking its target, the impulse is much higher against a rigid body than a soft body.

It would be more apt to calculate the momentum I think which at 20 m/s for an appendage that is maybe idk, 10 grams at the high end? We're talking about 0.2 kg m/s of momentum. Even if I'm off by an entire order of magnitude and its 2 kg m/s of momentum. For some reference this is still far less momentum (10 kg m/s) than is present in a billiard ball during a hard shot.

Yes there is going to be more damage because of the smaller surface area of the strike and yes it can absolutely make me bleed. I wouldn't do this with a spearing type under any circumstances. No I don't recommend other people stick their hand in a mantis shrimp tank. I did it because I understand the risk and I know these animals better than most people since I've been keeping them for years.

Back