My friends think I'm insane, maybe I am

I agree with the OP. When i had a peacock mantis, I did the same thing. They like to swim to get their food amd aren't trying to strike, in my experience. And I have been struck before while cleaning. Its not so bad. But I did jerk my hand out of the water causing alot of water to expel out of the tank.

I agree with the OP. When i had a peacock mantis, I did the same thing. They like to swim to get their food amd aren't trying to strike, in my experience. And I have been struck before while cleaning. Its not so bad. But I did jerk my hand out of the water causing alot of water to expel out of the tank.
Yes well clearly according to at least one of the experts here, we're just some tide pod eaters.

Mine always seemed friendly to me like it would've let me do this but I was never brave or mad enough to try, lol. Wow. On the other hand if he saw my gf he'd smack the tank in her direction. He made it clear he didn't like her. The shrimp was right, she was no good. You should've coaxed your friends into betting you wouldn't hand feed it, lmao. Right before this thread I was just saying how mantis shrimp are one of my very favorite things I've kept. They just seem so intelligent and thinking about how much more advanced their eyes are than ours blows my mind. They see things we can't even conceptualize probably.

Yes but the acceleration is over such a short distance. The peak velocity is about 20 m/s for an appendage that weighs grams. Just think about newton's third law here. The mantis shrimp isn't flying backwards after a strike and this is an animal that is very, very light and does not have a good way to anchor itself. The force number is high sure, but calculating the force requires you to know the impulse or the time estimated for the appendage to stop moving after striking its target, the impulse is much higher against a rigid body than a soft body.

It would be more apt to calculate the momentum I think which at 20 m/s for an appendage that is maybe idk, 10 grams at the high end? We're talking about 0.2 kg m/s of momentum. Even if I'm off by an entire order of magnitude and its 2 kg m/s of momentum. For some reference this is still far less momentum (10 kg m/s) than is present in a billiard ball during a hard shot.

Yes there is going to be more damage because of the smaller surface area of the strike and yes it can absolutely make me bleed. I wouldn't do this with a spearing type under any circumstances. No I don't recommend other people stick their hand in a mantis shrimp tank. I did it because I understand the risk and I know these animals better than most people since I've been keeping them for years.
I am referring to the 2nd law, F=ma.
The 500+ Newtons is still generated, and in just 49 microseconds!

The only reason an impulse can be that low is due to such incredible speed (low t/time) above.

Your finger won’t be any less damaged by the resulting small impulse quantity.

You also need to consider the forces resulting from the cavitation itself.

I am referring to the 2nd law, F=ma.
The 500+ Newtons is still generated, and in just 49 microseconds!

The only reason an impulse can be that low is due to such incredible speed (low t/time) above.

Your finger won’t be any less damaged by the resulting small impulse quantity.

You also need to consider the forces resulting from the cavitation itself.

The initial impulse is extremely low and quick due to the force required to generate the acceleration. But when the appendage is actually striking a target the impulse is going to depend on the body it is striking. They are using a metal force transducer that is in a fixed position, it is going to be able to decelerate much faster and generate a higher impulse and deliver a larger amount of force. Meanwhile if it was my finger which has soft tissue and is also attached to a hand that can move and is not rigidly fixed in place, the deceleration and impulse will be significantly lower.

Punch a concrete wall and then punch a balloon. Both strikes have the exact same energy and momentum but how the target is capable of absorbing or deflecting that energy and momentum matters a lot. I quote from the article you posted:

"Inelastic impacts on hard substrates cause a rapid change in acceleration over a very short time period and thereby generate high peak forces and low impulses. The material properties of a substrate can influence the recorded peak forces, through the time course of this change in acceleration and associated absorption of energy. Thus, the peak forces produced by mantis shrimp in this study should be interpreted in the context of the steel surfaces that they struck; a more energetically absorptive surface would yield lower peak amplitudes."

Also:

"In natural conditions, peacock mantis shrimp carefully position a snail on a firm surface or anvil-like rock, and then deliver a blow that typically causes little movement of the snail. In this study, a force sensor(load cell) was mounted at the base of an aluminum beam that was manually presented to the mantis shrimp. This arrangement permitted minimal movement of the apparatus when struck."

Context matters in physics guys, a lot. The acceleration numbers of a mantis shrimp strike are fantastic, I love what they are capable of. But the acceleration is one tiny piece of the puzzle, the numbers that matter are mass and velocity, and the mass is almost nothing and the velocity is not all that fast because of the very short distance and time that acceleration is applied across. This isn't a bullet having an entire barrel to accelerate out of, this is a limb that has a centimeter or two to move.

There is a risk of bodily harm but really it's not all that serious. Plenty of people get hit by mantis shrimp, it makes you bleed. It gives you a nasty bruise. It's not going to break bone or anything of the sort. This is not all that different than the risk of putting your hand in a tank with a big 6" female maroon clown and her cheek barb slicing you.

That is absolutely a myth, it's not nearly that strong. My wennerae hits the glass of the tank all the time and it does nothing except make loud noises. Can't even get through a trochus snail shell.
I think it might be true but not for little guys. The way a big adult 8" incher hits might be close to a baby rim fire but not point blank. I had two wennerae about the size in the video and they had to work splitting ceriths.

Back