My Green Chromis had babies... what next?!?!

mimi's fish

Market
Reaction score
I noticed last night that my green chromis had babies! :eek: I haven't a lot of time to read up on what I need to do..
They are hidden in a piece of dried coral so getting them out would be next to impossible without exposing them to the tank... Is there anything I can do to give them a chance at life?

that's awesome Mimi, happy to hear of your new parenthood.
keep your babies safe!

Did you see eggs?

Are you sure they're fish larvae?

I did not see eggs. The only way they were noticed is by looking directly at the spot they are in. You see them swimming around. One of the chromis has been sleeping in the coral with them.

Hate to burst your bubble but I doubt that they are baby chromis. They lay eggs and do not tend the young (they'd be more likely to eat them than care for them).

I suspect what you may be seeing are copepods/amphipods or mysids.

Jenn

JennM;980538 wrote: Hate to burst your bubble but I doubt that they are baby chromis. They lay eggs and do not tend the young (they'd be more likely to eat them than care for them).

I suspect what you may be seeing are copepods/amphipods or mysids.

Jenn
Yea I realize they don't "tend" to their young. I was referring to them being in the area. I didn't think they were babies at first but the more I watched the more I believe that's what they are.
If I can get some decent pictures I will post them.

Tbub1221;980539 wrote: How exciting , are the parents the only inhabitants ?
No. There are 3 other chromis, 2 clowns, 2 gobies, blenny and arrow crab. My bet is something will her to them and eat them. First and foremost being the parents

could you siphon them out with an airline and put them in another tank for observation and closer inspection? if you can and they do turn out to be babies you can order live rotifers from reed mariculture to feed them

Congrats! You will have to find a way to remove them. There are tons of hazards in your tank with circ pumps and overflow box being key hazards to fish fry. Other fish will also make a snack of them.

If they can't be removed then you will have to remove all the hazards from your display ie fish, circ pumps, no overflow or you will let "natural selection" occur in your tank.

Picoreefguy;980545 wrote: could you siphon them out with an airline and put them in another tank for observation and closer inspection? if you can and they do turn out to be babies you can order live rotifers from reed mariculture to feed them
Duh!! Why didn't I think of that!! Thanks.

Without removing them they will not survive, and even removing them they unfortunately will not survive without feeding rotifers. I'm with Jenn on they could possibly be mysis shrimp, as they can resemble fish larvae. If you can siphon them out and they are in deed chromis you can come grab some rotifers from me if you like. Rotifers may be the only thing small enough for them to eat first couple days then you would add baby brine shrimp.

merkywater;980575 wrote: Without removing them they will not survive, and even removing them they unfortunately will not survive without feeding rotifers. I'm with Jenn on they could possibly be mysis shrimp, as they can resemble fish larvae. If you can siphon them out and they are in deed chromis you can come grab some rotifers from me if you like. Rotifers may be the only thing small enough for them to eat first couple days then you would add baby brine shrimp.
Thank you. I'm on my way home now to see what I can do, if anything

6a6adca0c345c101b8b5c24eaa27b40a.jpg
alt="" />

Back