My house caught on fire and my tank busted :'(

whitneyd88

Market
Reaction score
Well... A plug caught fire in my room (which was plugged into a surge protecter) it was caused by a power surge and caused my tank to burst... Lost one of my platinum clowns & the other one is recovering at bobs, no clue if it'll make it. Lost everything but the corals that were on the sand bed. Luckily all the corals I just bought in Atlanta were sitting on the sand bed. Now I'm scrambling to set up the small tank I have & gotta clean the house & move to James parents house. The entire house is all black from the smoke. Thank god we were all at work.

WOW!

So sorry to hear that - how cana power surge cause a surge protector to burn?
I mean, aren't they designed for this instance???

Wow, hate to hear these things.

Did you have any other animals in the house?

Sorry to hear that man..That is one of my worst nightmare next to a flood. :eek::eek::eek::eek:If you need to store anything. I have lots of room.

Best of luck with everythin and very sorry to hear about the news.

AS special as our reef tanks are, they are not as precious as human life. So I'm really glad that you're ok.

Sorry about the loss of your tank and fish. I hope your corals pull through.

How's your room and the rest of your house? How extensive was the damage?

Glad you're okay.

This is a good time for a PSA :)

One thing that most people don't realize is that surge protectors are meant to "wear out" and be replaced on a regular basis. The cheap ones are practically worthless, so you shouldn't even waste your money on them. And make sure you're buying an actual surge protector and not an outlet strip.

We have many surges and dips throughout the year. THese cause wear and tear on our electrical components (And thus cause them to fail). Surge protectors are no different.

Skriz;627529 wrote: Glad you're okay.

This is a good time for a PSA :)

One thing that most people don't realize is that surge protectors are meant to "wear out" and be replaced on a regular basis. The cheap ones are practically worthless, so you shouldn't even waste your money on them. And make sure you're buying an actual surge protector and not an outlet strip.

We have many surges and dips throughout the year. THese cause wear and tear on our electrical components (And thus cause them to fail). Surge protectors are no different.

... and knowing is half the battle.

Thank you for all your support everyone! I have two house cats and I found them both hiding under the couch. Theyre breathing fine and havent been sneezing at all. We're lucky the fire started right next to the tank because when it busted it instantly put the fire out. So the only damage besides a torched wall and flooded room was soot covering everything all over the house. I was able to save one platinum clown, my mandarin goby, both peppermint shrimp, and my two scarlet hermit crabs. I cant believe i managed to save almost all the fish and inverts. I lost my harlequin too. But the corals I salvaged are doing just fine, & the corals I bought on Saturday don't even looked phased! Tomorrows going to be a long day of cleaning our belongings and moving. At least it's only 3 months until we move for college.
ae38dc1e-07d4-50f2.jpg
alt="" />
ae38dc1e-07ed-fb6d.jpg
alt="" />
ae38dc1e-0819-d191.jpg
alt="" />
ae38dc1e-082e-4b39.jpg
alt="" />

Wow... that's insane. I'm glad that everyone is ok and nothing more was damage. At least there's good news with the bad, you'll probably lose your deposit but its an excuse to go bigger.

Back