My lights

sdminson

Market
Reaction score
I bought all my stuff used and before I get into corals which I will be soon he tanks been up for over a month now is cycled and looking good I want to make sure my lights are good enough for soft corals here is what they are:

<p style="text-align:center;">2044
96 watt Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k
33.5" x 1.75" x 1"

<p style="text-align:center;">2045
96 watt SmartPaq 10,000k Daylight/460nm Actinic
33.5" x 1.75" x 1"

the light is from
a> and those are the two bulbs in it I got this setup for 25 dollars so Im not worried about it being horrible but want to know if it is before I start trying corals and if Im going to need to buy anything new. The tank is 75 gallons

You should have no problems with softies. Pulsing Xenias, Pom-Pom's, zoas should be fine. Have a good cuc in your tank, it is still pretty new so take your time. Haste is waste. Being a member you should have no problems getting some for free. If your anywhere near Macon I could give you some of the above. Good luck

Just saw where Grovetown is, your not close to Macon. If you can make it to the meeting some of the members should bring some for you. I'm not sure I can make it, but will let you know.

you can keep most soft corals with that light, but if you want to keep lps and sps get t5ho.

Assuming the bulbs in the fixture(s) are less than 12 months old, you should be in great shape for softies! Do you know for sure how much use these bulbs have had? Keep in mind that the bulbs may look perfectly bright to us but provide little to no useable light to corals if they are too old.

Thanks thats good to know. I have a decent size cuc at the moment but plan on adding a couple more also dont plan on adding any corals till at least mid feb.

I was told they had been used for about 10 months so im going to buy some new ones I think but before I did that wanted to make sure they were worthing spending the money on. Where would you recommend getting the replacement bulbs online or at my local LFS?

Sounds like a good plan to replace them before trying corals. Keep the old bulbs around for emergencies. Wtite on the socket of the old bulb how much use they had when you shelved them so you know how much life they have left. Write the installation date on the edge of the new bulb with a sharpie so you know when to replace them. I have had great luck with hellolights.com

Schwaggs;116179 wrote: Sounds like a good plan to replace them before trying corals. Keep the old bulbs around for emergencies. Wtite on the socket of the old bulb how much use they had when you shelved them so you know how much life they have left. Write the installation date on the edge of the new bulb with a sharpie so you know when to replace them. I have had great luck with hellolights.com

Good idea thanks

I just found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/MHS-48-T6-HO-Aquarium-Compact-Lighting-216W-T5_W0QQitemZ160193517287QQihZ006QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting">http://cgi.ebay.com/MHS-48-T6-HO-Aquarium-Compact-Lighting-216W-T5_W0QQitemZ160193517287QQihZ006QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting</a>

since Im looking at spending 90 dollars about to replace those two bulbs in my light would these be a better option for only 25 dollars or so more? would these allow me to do hard corals in a 75 gallon at a future time?

I'm not sure what that fixture is... The listing is for a T6 fixture. T6 bulbs are not that common in the reef keeping industry as far as I know... T5 bulbs are what you are looking for...

get new bulbs if their 10 months old...better safe.....

Back