New Lights!

@dball711 have you checked out the new orphek osix that you can control/dim the bars with? Looks like a great addition.

Yes I did and the sales contact from Orphic offered a smoking deal to include it but...

The more I thought about it I decided the on/off option was best for my application. Im using the mount option to control intensity by raising or lowering the fixtures. I prefer all on.

@dball711 how long have you been running them now. Have you noticed any difference between these the the xr15’s. What intensities where you running the radions?
One take has been running with the 7 units on one tank for almost a month and coverage is vastly superior to the tank I had 2 XR 15's on. I had been running the radions a 100% across all channels (except zero whites) anywhere from 50-90% overall.

Yes I did and the sales contact from Orphic offered a smoking deal to include it but...

The more I thought about it I decided the on/off option was best for my application. Im using the mount option to control intensity by raising or lowering the fixtures. I prefer all on.
You mean corals can be successfully grown without a ramp up and down? Jk lol

Orphek is ruining a big give away on another big forum. I wouldn’t mind adding some to my setup. I’m running a reefbrite with my xr15s now

@dball711 So I just put the Blue Plus on mine and I need one more. In your opinion, should I mix in the sky blue or the violet for the best results?

I have one of the Orpheck Blue Plus bars running right now, the tank dimensions are 36" L X 21" W X 20" H

Is the one Orphek the only light source on the tank and what types of coral will you be keeping?

Last edited:
It is the only source as of yesterday, I have a mix of hard and soft corals.

For a mixed tank I’d go with 3 light bars, 2 blue plus and 1 sky blue or 2 sky blue and one blue plus. Having two of the same over the other will give a different look. If you’re not sure which way to go I would order one of the blue sky and judge for yourself if you like the blue sky or the blue plus better and then order a third strip of the look, you prefer.

For a or an SPS dominant tank, I would suggest five light bars. Two sky, blue, two blue plus and one UV/violet. This would be the best combination if you have an SPS dominant tank and allow you to keep any high light demanding SPS coral with excellent results. I believe this option gives the most even coverage and the best looking color to the eye if you like a blue look to your tank.

As a tip when ordering anything from Orphek use the “contact us“ button and ask if they have any open box discount deals. Someone will reach out to you and I usually get another $10-$25 off from there. Plus they’re offering deep discounts on a new product they have for dimming or ramping the light on these bars if that’s important to you.

Thanks for the input, how long are you running yours every day?

2 - Orphek OR3 Blue Sky 11 hours (8-7)
2 - Orphek OR3 Blue Plus 8 hours (12-8)
1 - Orphek OR3 UV/Violet 10.5 Hours (12-10.5)
2 - generic 80w 470nm light bars 8 hours (1-9:30)

All 7 light bars are only on for 6 hours but the tank has 14.5 hours of light.

Once I can get a PAR reading I can list PAR by hour/time.

Back