My little sump

hhughes

Market
Reaction score
Well, I am tired of HOB skimmers. I don't have room for a sump under my 55g, because the stand is the kind with two cabinets and and open shelf in the middle. I've decided it might be easier to put a cabinet right next to my tank, and hide the sump in that.

Now, acrylic is way beyond my comfort zone, so I'm thinking I'll use an old tank for the sump and get Lowe's to cut me some glass for the baffles. I have an old 10g tank I could use, and there are a million examples on the internet for me to follow.

Before I do this, though, I've read a few posts about people using rubbermaid containers for sumps. Is there any specific step-by-step guide out there for this kind of thing? I could get a much bigger sump that way, after all.... I just can't seem to find any photos or details about them.

Check out this thread on RC. May help you out:

showthread.php

I will post my pix tomorrow. I have a sump under my 55 made of an old wet/dry gutted and a 10 gal sterolite container. Basics. From my over flow I dump into felt sock in the 10 gal where my reef octo NW-150 sits. I used 2 bulkheads I got from Jenn and 3/4 PVC to connect the wet dry to one end. From the sterolite it goes into where the return pump is supposed to go in the wet dry. I have filled this area with cheato and LR rubble. I left the sponge going to where I placed my return pump. It sits at the bottom of where the bio ball chamber used to be and pumps straight up to my tank.

Here you go. Hope this helps. I just moved the tank this past weekend. I can actually pull the sump out the back side of the stand.
PC210132.jpg
alt="" />
PC210133.jpg
alt="" />
PC210131.jpg
alt="" />
DSC_0268.jpg
alt="" />

002-1.jpg
alt="" />
003-1.jpg
alt="" />