My Reefer 200 Xl

Well, had some a bad incident recently. My wife and I were cleaning the house. Someone one of us moved my doser and the manual dose button got held down. My alk skyrocketed. A lot of coral didn’t make it over the new few days even with massive water changes. Those that did survive lost a portion of color and had a slight case of STN. Saves a much as I could and clipped the rest. No fish death. Wouldn’t be a reef hobby without hiccups. Wife just said “it’s alright we can buy more”. I love her lol. Considering reorienting the way the doser is places View attachment 28232

The coralline starting to spread. I’m surprised at how fast it’s spread. Small patches can be seen around the tank. I seeded it with a single pebble. Hopefully it will cover more and his the green that I fairly dislike.
View attachment 28233

Sorry to hear that. I know the pain all too well. Lost a colony of pink lemonade go doser issues. Hope the tank rebounds better than ever.

Well it’s been a while since an update. I had some devastating issues with the tank that almost made me leave completely. 90% of everything died and had to be rebooted.

1. My probe trust got the tank destroyed a good chunk of my livestock. Unfortunately I have been traveling a lot more than I had liked during this time. I trusted my salinity probe to be useful. It was reading 32 during my time away. Coral started to die slowly and I couldn’t understand why. I would do a water change and get back to traveling. Later I found out that actual salinity was around 1.08 or higher. It had killed off the majority of my coral along with multiple wrasses and clowns before I had time to even do a deep dive.
2. I had been using my DOS to dose 2 part without a hitch. One day my wife was moving some stuff around and out cube storage where my doser was and placed something that had held down the manual dose. It emptied the DDR into a 200 liter tank. Killed the rest of my corals .

With those two hiccups I lost nearly everything. Al my high end sps, 3 pair of wrasses , my clowns. . . Pretty much everything. Tank ran empty for a month and I was getting ready to take it down. Wife said no to breaking it down and wanted me to redo everything. This was back in September.

Fast forward to now. I only use my refractormete and ha since moved my doser . Rebooted and somewhat restocked. Friends manage to help me save some of the colonies. Still not back to 100% but hopefully soon.

767FF507-32C2-4003-AFB7-8986CF32B637.jpeg

Well it’s been a while since an update. I had some devastating issues with the tank that almost made me leave completely. 90% of everything died and had to be rebooted.

1. My probe trust got the tank destroyed a good chunk of my livestock. Unfortunately I have been traveling a lot more than I had liked during this time. I trusted my salinity probe to be useful. It was reading 32 during my time away. Coral started to die slowly and I couldn’t understand why. I would do a water change and get back to traveling. Later I found out that actual salinity was around 1.08 or higher. It had killed off the majority of my coral along with multiple wrasses and clowns before I had time to even do a deep dive.
2. I had been using my DOS to dose 2 part without a hitch. One day my wife was moving some stuff around and out cube storage where my doser was and placed something that had held down the manual dose. It emptied the DDR into a 200 liter tank. Killed the rest of my corals .

With those two hiccups I lost nearly everything. Al my high end sps, 3 pair of wrasses , my clowns. . . Pretty much everything. Tank ran empty for a month and I was getting ready to take it down. Wife said no to breaking it down and wanted me to redo everything. This was back in September.

Fast forward to now. I only use my refractormete and ha since moved my doser . Rebooted and somewhat restocked. Friends manage to help me save some of the colonies. Still not back to 100% but hopefully soon.

View attachment 37686
I’m sorry for your losses. I sold my Apex early on because I didn’t trust the readings on any of the probes. Everything in your tank is looking beautiful now. It’s nice you have a supportive spouse!

That salinity probe got me...too glad you were able to get back and the tank is looking good

Good to see you rebounding. I don’t use their salinity probe for that reason. I think there is a happy medium for automation and still be hands on. What are you still missing coral wise?

Dang man, sorry for the losses. This hobby sometimes take a huge toll on you, but it does bring a lot of joy when things are going as it should. Glad the wife kept you in the hobby. My wife has pushed me to stay in as well, because she knows how much joy the hobby does bring me. I feel your pain with the losses.

Good to see you rebounding. I don’t use their salinity probe for that reason. I think there is a happy medium for automation and still be hands on. What are you still missing coral wise?
Mannnnnnn... they probe is so horrid. Calibrated it a bunch and still swerved off course. I wish it was a secondary pH probe. Of the original that died a lot lol. Pikachu, Red Robin, maleficent, red planet, vivid rainbow, etc. not including zoa/lps. I’ll make it there hopefully again.

Dang man, sorry for the losses. This hobby sometimes take a huge toll on you, but it does bring a lot of joy when things are going as it should. Glad the wife kept you in the hobby. My wife has pushed me to stay in as well, because she knows how much joy the hobby does bring me. I feel your pain with the losses.
Yea I’m glad she’s cool too. I think the hobby is love hate a lot of times. Hopefully it leans more over to the love soon. The little hiccups happens

Had some time to do all the test I needed to last night. I was shocked at how much my tank was using.
Mag -1200
Calcium- 340-350
dKH- 5,4
pH- 8.33
Nitrate - <5
Phosphate- .02

As you may have noticed, calcium and all were BOTH low. I’m not sure how that’s possible, but I confirm my Hanna readings with a LFS and Red Sea kit. I dumped a bunch of sps in my tank without really upping the dosing. I’ve since up the dosing from 15 ml to 75ml to bring up my levels slowly. I’ll see how fast it’s going up this afternoon and adjust. Hoping to bring it back to 400-430 calcium and 8-8.5 alk over next week.

Evidently tank lost power last night. Pumps were fine, but heater did not have power. Reef dipped to 74 degrees. Doesn’t help that we program our central heat to lower when we go to bed around 12. My Bahama mama frag started to STN. Only one that had issues thankfully. 9D71A639-15F5-4FF4-BB9D-93360F68393F.jpeg

Reactions: ejr
35EE132C-7D22-4662-97CB-61BCDB2061F4.jpegFinally got some time to switch over to black netting. Makes the tank looks so much more clear. White netting glare was causing water to look weird. Had to switch. Couldn’t be any happier

View attachment 38390Finally got some time to switch over to black netting. Makes the tank looks so much more clear. White netting glare was causing water to look weird. Had to switch. Couldn’t be any happier
You're the second person I know that said something about the white netting having a glare. I don't understand this "glare". Do you mean clear netting because I never seen white netting? I use clear netting and I don't get a glare tho.

You're the second person I know that said something about the white netting having a glare. I don't understand this "glare". Do you mean clear netting because I never seen white netting? I use clear netting and I don't get a glare tho.
It’s considered cleared but essentially white. It cause a a lot of light reflection

Attachments

• 3F2CCBA8-9E03-4CA2-9DB5-810C6E487C8F.jpeg
    3F2CCBA8-9E03-4CA2-9DB5-810C6E487C8F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
Back