My SCA 66g Upgrade

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting a larger tank for a minute now. I broke down my 90g about a year ago when my daughter was about 1, I was staying at home with her and just started grad school. I kept my paid of clowns and remaining corals in an IM 20g drop off. It’s a cool tank I just don’t care for the lack of a footprint. I was going to go with a 40breeder, things happened with that and I found a 60g cube about two weeks ago.
We’ll last week I found a SCA 66g tank, 32x24x20, so needless to say I got the footprint I was wanting lol. The guy tossed in a bunch of stuff with the tank, a icecap gyre, skimmer without a pump, a nice sump (thick glass rimless), and an icecap algae scrubber. The tank’s about a year old. Hopefully this weekend I’ll do a leak check on it and find a place to put it in the house.

I’m going to run an ATI 24x8 Sunpower for lighting, i also have a NanoBox duo I’ll run for the blue LEDs. I have an mp10es (starting to make a bit of noise now) and the gyre for flow. I’m going to look for something else come Black Friday. I have an apex jr with an eb8 for my controller and a Tunze ato. I just need to find a skimmer for the tank. Again I think Black Friday will be my best bet on that. I might look for a new stand, I’d like something a little taller than what it’s on now.

it’s in the garage now so I’m ready for my spot back

570C2673-9B1F-429A-8DAB-920305D4C05A.jpeg

Congrats on your upgrade! if you're looking for pumps, look out for some used nero 5's. every now and then you can find them for about 100-125 each and they are great pumps. Easy to clean, easy to program, just an overall great pump for the size.

I wouldn’t mind a Nero5. I’ve seen them on r2r for cheap sometimes. I like how small they are compared to other powerheads.

We’ll this project is about to start moving forward 🤣 it was kind of in limbo while I was finish my masters and trying to find a job. We’ll I got a job offer this week so we’ll be staying for a little while now. I’m going to try to get it cleaned and moved this weekend.

Congrats on the new job. I have two nero 3's and love them. Good footprint on the tank.

Thanks @DiefsReef and @Trizzino it’s been a stressful journey finding a job but thankfully that’s behind me and this new company seems to offer years of opportunity.

trizzino, the footprint is what drew me to the tank. I’ve been messing around with rocks and there’s so much cool stuff I can do in the tank with it.

You mean the final location isn’t next to the piñata and Chelsea flag?
You can’t see the lawnmower on the other side of it. And yes that’s were it’s going so I can enjoy it every time I pull into the garage.

Seems to be holding fine. It’s dropped a bit but I’m assuming that’s from evaporation in our hot A$$ garage. There’s no water on the floor or inside the stand. Gonna try to clean it this weekend if I can find time.

We’ll it’s still full of water lol so it holds. I got sick last week so I didn’t get a chance to empty it and now my new job started. I’ll maybe get to it this weekend with the cleaning part.

We’ll it’s gonna be on hold for another few weeks 🙄 I started my new job last Monday and on Sunday night the sitter we hired text us saying she took a job with another family. Luckily with last week being mostly HR stuff we were able to make it work. Now my mother in law is staying with us for two weeks while we find a new sitter and she’s staying in the soon to be fish room. Once she leaves this thing is going is ASAP lol

Just think of it as an extended water test. Life gets busy and the delay could be a blessing in disguise.

Very true. I’ve had some aptasia pop up in my 20g so hopefully this will give me time to take care of of that before swapping tanks.

I purchased a set of Gyre 2ks for the tank. The wifi box was DOA but got that sorted out and they create a ton of flow! I've also got my MP10, hopefully it'll fit the thick glass, and a 1k Gyre from my 20g that will also go on the tank. I also got a big order form BRS coming next week :eek:
brs.jpg

I'm heading out of town this weekend but I've got next Friday off from work so I plan on giving it a deep scrub and hopefully rinse a few bags of sand.

We’ll my order of 10 bulbs are out for delivery via USPS today 😬 anyone wanna guess how many are broken

Back