My tank is a fish death trap

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I have my 125 running for about 3 month now. In it, I have everything I had in my 46 plus a few additions. Fish wise I have a yellow tang, Tommini tang, black clown, pair of GSM clowns, cardinal, coral beauty, and engineer goby. All are healthy and happy. The GSM pair was the last ones introduced to the 125.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">About a month ago I got a Naso and a Power Brown. The Naso got sick after two days and died after 4. The Powder developed spots after 4 days and actually survived for 3 weeks before dying. </span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Last week I got a nice Sailfin that got sick (or arrived sick) almost immediately. He is now out of the main display in QT but I don’t think he will make it.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">They all develop the same symptoms: white spots, which I can only think of Ich, then skin lesions. Then they stop eating, breath rapidly and eventually die.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">All the rest of the inhabitance don’t show any signs of stress, illness or anything. All accept the Tommini that has a few spots on his fins. They are not bumpy spots more like white marks.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Obviously, Ich is resident in my tank and the current fish all used and, I guess, immune to it. How can I ever introduce another fish? I would have pulled all my hair if I had any. I’m so frustrated right now that I just want to shut it all down. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR</span>

It sounds like your tank started having problems with the additions you started about a month ago. Were all the recent additions from the same source? If so, the problem may be with the source and not with your tank.

:(

Skin lesions are indicative of either a bacterial infection or brookynella, a protozoan infection. I'd lean more towards brook, especially if it's taking down the fish rapidly.

It can be hosting on your fish which are too healthy to succumb to it, or it may have come in with the new fish. Either way the new fish would be stressed out and had lost the majority of its slime coat do to netting, bagging, and the stress.

Put all new fish in an adequte QT system for a minimum of two weeks before introducing it into your main display. I would use Seachem Stress Guard as a prophylactic in the QT system, as it helps rebuild slime coats, helps close open wounds, and also acts as a mild disinfective.

Back