My true percula clowns have insomia!

phoenix20

Market
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of true percula clownfish at MACNA. I've never seen a pair of fish so happy to be together -- they are almost inseperatable. I'm really glad I picked them up and they have become probably my favoriate fish in the tank.

When the main lights go out, all of the other fish find their sleeping places within the live rock except for the clowns. The clowns decide they are going to swim to the upper most corner of the tank, and both fish just swim in that location all night long. Is this normal for clowns?

I do have a white bubbletip anemonie, but they haven't yet taken shelter in it. Maybe my anemonie isn't large enough yet, but it does have 4 seperate growths and the tips are about an inch long, so I thought that it would have provided a decent shelter.

The anemonie does close up at night and retract and only "expands" during the day. Is this insomia normal? I've had the fish for 4 days now, and I don't think they have slept yet.

Maybe I need to go pick up some ambien sleeping aid and stick it in some brine shrimp! :confused2:

Mine do the exact same thing and have been since I got them 2 months ago. They "swim" in the upper right corner next to the powerhead. Their swimming looks more like running in place and freaks me out!

This is funny, these fish are amazing and beautiful. I saw a mated pair at my LFS up the street and they are doing the exact same thing you describe!!

I cannot wait to get my pair of picasso's from EA!!!

As the others have said, mine do this as well. I have had mine since May and they always snuggle up to a powerhead to sleep. Kind of cute in a wierd way! :lol2:

Back