Name a Gadget, Implement or Tool

Plastic coat hangers cut into pieces... I'm busy putting together my aquascape using them as pegs as we speak.

LockeOak;106344 wrote: Plastic coat hangers cut into pieces... I'm busy putting together my aquascape using them as pegs as we speak.

I love this idea!!

What size drill bit do you use to make the holes in LR for the pegs?

I can't believe mentioned nobody has mentioned the most important implement yet--the credit card! Good not only for buying reef stuff you can't afford, but also for scraping algae!

PVC cutters are great for cutting nubs of rock. I've fragged corals with those a few times.

Hmmm...now I know who has a 5" hole saw.

Cameron;106129 wrote: Items I use all the time:<ol>
<li>PVC Cutters which besides being handy for cutting PVC they work wonders on a variety of tubing - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39749">http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39749</a> They are also on sale for $2.50!</li>
<li>Hole Saw kit - I loan this thing out ALL the time - [IMG]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94665">http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94665</a> - Oh and it is on sale for $5!</li>
<li>Toothbrush which is great for cleaning off stubborn algae from rocks, in front of the tank below the sand line and a variety of other useful cleaning measures.</li>
<li>Pipe cleaners. Overflows, pumps and just about anywhere you might need to clean a creavace.</li>
<li>Dremel. When does this thing NOT come in handy for some project... such as building Brandons sump.</li>
<li>Needlenose pliers and/or bone shears are great for SPS fragging.</li>
<li>A good wet/dry vac</li>
<li>Mag flashlight - Useful for finding pests at night</li>
<li>Not really a tool, but zip ties with mounting heads - [IMG]http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=080-842">http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=080-842</a></li>
<li>monoprice.com - another non tool, but when you need to extend a power cord, run a serial cable to your computer for that RK2 or just need a good cable this place is the cheapest around</li>
</ol>I am sure I can pop a few more out but these are the ones off the top of my head.[/QUOTE]

For the Umpteenth thousanth time.like last night..........

Mouthwash or gum for syphon hose mishaps while doing a waterchange.

Follow me?

Dakota9;106430 wrote: For the Umpteenth thousanth time.like last night..........

Follow me?

That is why I use a python siphon. :)

Dakota9;106430 wrote: For the Umpteenth thousanth time.like last night..........

Follow me?
I love cold shrink tape for things like this as well as sealing electrical around water. Easy to use, self bonding so it creates a seal of sorts, no adhesive failure unlike electrical or even duct tape and is pretty cheap.

Dakota9;106439 wrote: Yes, knowing when to STOP sucking is a valuable skill!

sometimes I think you post these kinds of comments on purpose!!!

But... nope... not gonna do it... not going there... nooooooooo way

:eek: :unsure: :eek: :yikes: :eeek: :crazy:

Follow me?

Ballpeen Hammer...

Not only good for taking out frustrations on a piece of equipment or pump thats not working, but great for making LRR. Fold up a piece of LR up in a towel and beat the holly crap out of it!!!!

Chopsticks - They are great for feeding various types of anemones, especially when the items are larger pieces of krill, etc. that tend to block a baster.

Graduated Oral Syringes - When a "capful is x ml." just doesn't seem like an exacting enough measure... also good for measuring out tank water for testing tubes.

Linda Lee: What is the story on the picture you use for your avatar? It is mesmerizing. (You just don't get to use that word enough in every day conversation)

pfritzbelly;106692 wrote: Linda Lee: What is the story on the picture you use for your avatar? It is mesmerizing. (You just don't get to use that word enough in every day conversation)

There's not much of a story. I was googling images for *Woman-Fish-Hat* for a previous thread (West Cobb/Paulding Night Out), and this picture was one of the search results. I just thought it was a cool picture, and since there was no copyright warning, I adopted it as my avatar.

Another interesting search result on that same search was this one:

woman-with-fish-hat.jpg
alt="" />

I like *unique* art.

:)

Let's face it, 3" is just not good enough (sorry Brandon), but 8" will do the job...

DSC04503.jpg
alt="" />

DSC04502.jpg
alt="" />

A stainless steel drywall taping knife is perfect as an algae scraper for tough corraline alage. Much better than the commercially available kent 3" blade. And the handle...just try and break it!

:)

Weedeater Line:

I have found yhis VERY useful over the years for cleaning out tubes, pipes and the like. Use a heavy gauge. You can curl the end and push it down the longest pipe runs (although heavier gauges will give you grief on right-angles; that is where twisting comes into play).

Secure a brush to the filament and you can clean out all manner of crud. If you double-end the brush, you can make a reciprocating scrubber to really make thinks sparkle. That is made easier by enlisting a friend, though.

Plus, you can buy an entire spool for next to nothing.

P

dawgdude;106721 wrote: Only problem with a stainless steel blade is that it can scratch the living _____ out of your tank and really mess it up if your not careful. I have had good success with the kent blades because they bend easily and dont scratch the glass........I just go through a blade a month.

the kent blades are stainless steel! the only way to scratch the glass would be if you scraped it with the corner. If you use it the same way as the kent blade, you wont have an issue.

Back