Nano Fish In A Larger Tank

Nelson

Reaction score
Hello,

New here but wanting to eventually get into saltwater after doing freshwater since 1996. I will still keep the freshwater tanks we have - 75, 90, & a few smaller ones for our Bettas. I hope to go with a 120 for SW because I've read articles & it seems that is a pretty decent size to do & be able to handle pretty easy in regard to keeping water parameters under control. I most likely will start out as a reef rock only/peaceful fish but later move to some peaceful corals. I just want opinions - pros & cons - from people who've been at this for years. Forgive me if I'm asking questions that can be found on the forum pages or tags within topics. I'll gladly start reading but just wanted people's opinions on my plans.

Questions:
1. Would a 120 be a little too much to start with? I plan on going SLOW setting it up, letting it cycle for about 4 - 6 months before starting to add fish. The 4 - 6 months would be adding dry rock & something to help kick start the process, when water parameters look good, add some live rock & then wait some more until water parameters are good again. Plus it give me that time to really but together the fish I want by reading up & asking questions on what is compatible with each other & reef safe.

2. If doing a 4 - 6 month cycle, suggested time to add a cleaner crew? Or should I wait until I start adding fish?

3. How do people feel about it being stocked with fish that most people place in a Nano tank? I know Nano tanks are usually a lot smaller but I figure doing a 120 would give the fish a better environment. It's not a case of "Oh, I can a whole bunch of these smaller fish & really load the tank up" mentality. I'd rather have a tank with fewer fish that looks good than cram a bunch into it & have a failure.

4. Would I be better to start with my fish and later add simple corals or the other way around? Or add a couple of fish, then a couple of corals, & then repeat. And what would be the recommended time between doing either - i.e. add fish & how long a wait to start adding corals?

5. As far as lighting & filtration, I'll run those questions as I'm planning/preparing to get started, do due diligence on research - can't ever do enough research - & post questions on different equipment for suggestions from people. I'd rather spend good money up front than buy equipment that I'll be replacing(& spending more money) shortly after when I realize it doesn't meet the tanks needs. I'll also read some of the forum topics on the same stuff to get an idea of what I might want to buy. I mean I can read all the data from the manufacturer on their equipment but to me, people with real experience would tell the truth and help someone not fail at getting their tank running.

TIA

1. A 120 is actually a pretty good size to start. Its 4ft length is really nice. Most equipment you would get for a 75/90 would work on it. The extra 6 inches of depth front to back makes a big difference in room for both livestock and aquacaping.
2. With all the available bacteria in a bottle, you wouldn’t have to wait 6 monthes. I think 4-6 weeks MAX. My cycle lasted a week ( time it took to being all the ammonia I added bacK down to 0).
3. If your tank is stable you can usually add as much coral as you want day one ( assuming you didn’t add in ammonia). But with a new tank it’s hard to have stability when there’s not really anything to compare it to. Adding softies like zoa/Paly would be a good starter. As for fish, I would add in 1-3 max per week. With docile ones firsts. You don’t wanna add a butt ton all at once, your bacteria needs time to accomendste the bipolar. Your clean up crew should actually be added after fish imo. They are called “clean up crew”, nothing to clean up if there isn’t any waste from livestock. They’ll starve , die, and pollute the tank.
4. Budget budget budget. Figure out what your final goal is and but the most necessary equipment first. Budget the most for a skimmer and lighting. Cheap powerheads will work, but a crappy skimmer will give you a huge headache . Importance of equipment in order imo would be skimmer, lighting, bio filtration, than everything else would be based on what you want to do with tank. Second hand market is awesome for deals . I would get a pre owned badass skimmer over a crappy new skimmer any day.

First off, welcome! It's good to hear that you are ready to dive in to saltwater, sounds like you've already done some research too.

1. Slow cycle is recommended, most new reefers rush this step, you've been in the hobby for a while though and understand the importance.

2. I would add a clean up crew as needed, when algae starts growing you can add some snails and crabs to help you keep it clean.

3. I think a large reef with an abundance of small fish is great, smaller fish have a smaller bioload so it shouldn't be an issue.

4. Fish first, then coral, then more coral and more coral and more coral....... Wait thats what I did lol. Get good at cleaning up after your fish first, then you can add coral without meaning too many adjustments.

5. Ask as needed and as often as you want on here, we'll help where we can.

A few things to note... you’ll ask a question and get a lot of opinions in this hobby. No one way of doing things. What I did was find consistencies in people’s response and found people who had successful tanks and their opinion had higher value. Just my personal advice. Now onto your questions.

1. 120g is fine, but remember, bigger the tank the higher cost: more/stronger pumps, more lights, etc etc. So budget accordingly.
2.Cycle period - this varies based on your goal. You can rush cycle with bacteria in a bottle if you already know what you’re doing or as you stated, go slow and learn your equipment and research more and let the cycle go naturally.
3.Nano fish are fun but remember saltwater tanks are very territorial so plan this out accordingly. Start with least aggressive to most aggressive. My last fish in my tank was a six line wrasse and he’s as tiny as can be but he’s like a chihuahua in the fish world. Small but big attitude.
4.I highly recommend fish first as they are more forgiving in stability of water parameters. Once you got your parameters stable and have it mapped out how you will maintain your parameters, then add corals.
5.set a budget. You can go with fancy equipment like radions for lights but black boxes will grow corals just as well. I have $125 fixtures that is growing corals as well as people who are paying $850 fixtures. I think anyone who seen my tank can attest to this statement. Don’t think you need the newest/fanciest gadget to have a successful tank. Lastly on equipment, look for second hand gently used equipment to save some money.

and my personal word of advice for his hobby... patience and stability is key. Don’t look for quick for quick fixes in a bottle in this hobby as your first option. Try to work it through naturally and understand everyone has struggles with their tank, so expect the same. Stability, don’t rush changes to fix something, most of the times this will be worst than the problem itself.

finally... WELCOME TO ARC!!!

Welcome to ARC and the Hobby. We are glad you found us. And don't ever think that you shouldn't ask any of your questions because someone might have asked already. That is probably true but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't ask. We are all here to help other fellow reefers succeed in this journey.

Back