nano reef

goodoleboyz250

Market
Reaction score
i have a 10 gal. aquarium with two clownfish two live rock and a cleanup crew.I want to make it into a nano reef what do i need to get in order to have this, and what kind of stuff would be a good idea to put in it?

IS this the same tank that you have the 18W light on with that BTA?!? Well your first need is a light that will support the bubble tip... Second, 10 gal is a small space to have a BTA and corals so a traditional reef is almost out of the question. My advice, pick one or the other.

The advice your got on the other thread about lighting, tank size, and anemones was all valid. They weren't trying to discourage you, but give you honest advice from some very experienced reefkeepers.

My personal take:

Take the anemone back to the store. Clowns don't have to have an anemone to be happy. I have a pair of maroon clowns in my 30G reef tank with no anemone and they're doing great. A 10G tank is too small for an anemone, much less an anemone and corals! If you did try to comfine your anemone and corals into that small space, the anemone would most likely move and kill the corals.

You can run a successful nano-reef in a 10G tank even with low lighting. If you stick to soft corals (leathers, xenia, zoanthids, palythoas, mushrooms, etc.), you should be OK.

If you're set on keeping that anemone, you should upgrade to a bigger tank and more intense lighting.

Back