Nano with Leather and LPSs OK?

Scott23

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a 20L that has been doing well with only LPS and a gorgonian, and mushrooms. The tank gets 15% water changes weekly. The only filtration is filter floss (changed weekly) and activated carbon in overflow (changed every 3 weeks). I added a small crown leather a few days ago and now my torch isn't extending as much and completely closes for a period during the day. I never noticed that behavior before. All other LPSs (frogspawn, hammer, bubble, goni, elegance) seem to be OK. Is it bad to keep a leather coral in a nano with LPSs with no protien skimming?

They are pretty far apart. I would say approx 14". I didn't know if there is some chemical warfare from the leather that the torch is more sensitive to. I just changed out my carbon. On a tangent, is it normal for a leather coral to close up and open back up 2-3 times a day? Most of the time it is fully open with polyps extended, but it cycles to closing polyps, shrinking, expanding and then extending polyps a few times a day. The cycle takes about an hour...

Additional info, I measured water parameters yesterday...DKH 9, PH 8.4, 0 nitrates, 0 phospates. I ocassionally dose reef energy AB+ and some neonitro (get to 2ppm) to make sure there are some nutrients in the water. My feeding 3 fish and some reefroids for the corals never seems to raise the nitrates.

What are you using as your test kit? 0 Nitrates and Phosphates are no bueno for corals. They need some nutrients in the water. Try being more consistent with dosing AB+ and see if you are able to register some nutrients. Any algae growing in the tank?

As far as leathers go, they can release toxins into the water. More sensitive corals will be affected but if you run carbon and do regular water changes it shouldn't be too bad. They will close up and reopen. When I had a toadstool there were times it would close for a day or two and then open back up. At first, it concerned me but it was normal in my case.

Thanks. For phospates, I am using Hanna low phosphate tester. For nitrates, I have a Salifert test kit. For some reason it is hard for my tank to build up nitrates and phosphates, even with more feeding and dosing nitrate. I slowed down the water changes to help. I was doing about 25%+ weekly. Now, I am doing 15% weekly WC. My tank is about 3 months old.

I am getting some green and brown algae. Mainly on the sand. Got a small tiger, conch. It is doing an amazing job! :)

The leather coral closes only for an hour or two and then opens up. This happens 2-3 times a day. I was reading online that it can be a reaction if some detritus or something else falls on it.

Wow I see you are much more adventurous than I am, introducing expensive torches in such a young tank. Good luck getting your nitrates up and stable, I've had the same problem in several new tanks.

Is adventurous a diplomatic way of saying foolish? ;-) I have gone pretty fast. Is it any clue, that when the torch closes up it expels a brown stringy substance? It then opens back up.
How long before you typically see more normal nitrate and phospate levels in a new tank?

Not foolish, many people are very successful with all kinds of coral right off the bat. I'm just much more cautious with the more expensive corals in my tanks. As far as how long, every tank is different. So many variables, how much rock, sand, surface area for bacteria, how many fish, how much feeding, etc. I ran my 60 gallon bare bottom frag tank at zero measurable nitrates for a couple years. I'm now dosing to maintain at 5.

Back