naso tang

angel

Supporting
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is a problem with nasos tang I had purchased 2 different type one regular naso and one unicorn tang small the first one died last week after I got home from work he was swimming fine he ate and 2 hours later he died and I yes got home know and my unicorn is dying what is going on.
I have a purple tang, yellow wrasse, leopard wrasse, and a pair of clowns.

It could be an internal parasite that slowly is killing the fish without you notticing. I think there was another thread not to long ago with someone having problems with a tang dying suddenly like what's happening to you.

It's weird I lost a blonde naso about a month ago after been in my tank for 2 years

What are your parameters?

How long are they living after you move them to the display?

Is there a significant difference in parameters from the QT to the display?

How long are you keeping them in quarantine?

Need more information...

Jenn

I usually quarantine for a month and they last probably 2, 3 weeks.

OK... how about the rest of the questions? :)

I'll also add - how long does the LFS have them before you get them? Are they eating in the LFS, and otherwise behaving normally?

Have you tested the water they arrive in, to see if there are significant differences between LFS water and your water?

We can't help you make a conclusion without more information.

Jenn

No I never tested there water and usually at LFS they been there for more then 2 weeks That's what they tell me and they always eating so I really don't know what is going on .

I have never tested the water I didn't even know you have to test the water

It's not a bad idea to at least test pH and specific gravity because sometimes stores keep it lower than typical reef hobbyists and that comes into play when acclimating.

What about your water? You haven't posted your parameters.

We can't help you figure it out without more information.

Jenn

Sorry I'm still half sleep
Last night I tested my water and this is what I got.
Ph:8.3
Alk:9
Calcium:440
Magnesium:1300 ppm
Ammonia:0
Nitrates:10 ppm
Phosphates:0.3 ppm
Salinity:0.25

Salinity - are you talking 25 PPT or 1.025?

You might want to work on the nitrates before they become an issue...

How long between when you moved him from QT to display, before he died?

I feel like I'm pulling teeth here...

Tell me a story - the whole story - brought him home, quarantined (for how long)... how long in the display... any odd behaviors, how it got along with tank mates...

What size is the display?

I want to help but I can't answer the question as to why your tangs are dying without more information -as much information as you can provide.

Ok brought him home quarantine for a month, then after that month acclimated to display tank for 1 hour then after been in the tank eating and swimming good after 1 ore 2 weeks they died.
Salinity is 1.025
I have a purple tang, 2 black clowns I got from you remember doing great and one yellow wrasse.
My tank is 125 gallon 6 feet long

Before this started i had the following fish.
1 unicorn tang
1 vlamingi
2 yellow tang
1 blue regal
Then I sold them because they grow to big so I decided to go with a small same fish.

angel;962678 wrote: Looks to me that the small fish are more delicate.

+1 I have a friend that's gone through 4 baby blue tangs and then he got a 4-5 inch one and it's still alive and doing well.

How much/often were you feeding them?

Small ones tend to be pretty fragile if they aren't fed a lot and often - which can then result in water quality issues - it's a delicate balance.

Back