Need advice on Metro for Fish

ralph atl

Market
Reaction score
I added a new Leopard Wrasse that I believe might have infected my Bipart with an internal parasite.
(I believe at this time, both won't make it........but ya never know......can't tell, they are staying in sand 24-7)

So, here's what I want to do:

Dip any new Leopard wrasse in metro. How? and how long?

I will also want to feed some focus & metro to leopard's at first. Since I can't have any pods dying, I would prefer to feed. If it will not effect anything in tank, that's fine, too.

The dilemma is that most Leopard's only eat live food (baby live brine or gut packed), so how do I accomplish that? They will eat cyclopeeze soon, so can I soak that? how much? how often?

It seems that the manufacturers only want it in the water.......What is best brand or form for metro?

Thanks!
Ralph

In my experience, metro cant be used in a dip, it needs to be taken orally or injected. The focus supposed binds the metro to the food, but I have no experience with it. To gut pack the live food, simpley apply the metro to the food for the live food, and this will "load" it.

What are you seeing? I love prazipro, and if you think you are dealing with internal parasites, this is a good measure.

Unfortunately, I am not seeing anything. New Leopard didn't eat day 1 & 2, from day 3 on (today is day 11), she's in the sand 24-7.

My 4 month bipart has been on schedule since day 2. She got up at 10:30 am, and she went to bed at 8pm in sand. She was fat, and eating very well. 3 days ago, she went into sand at 6pm. She woke up at 1:30 pm the next day. She did not appear at all yesterday, nor today. I am assuming the worst that my new wrasse infected my Bipart. Leopards are notorious for internal parasites. At this assumption, any new wrasse, I want to treat before they enter tank (but they do not do good in quarantine), and feeding. I can't kill any foraminiferans, amphiopods & codipods. Can prazipro be given with food instead of in water? or can I use as a dip? or are my pods safe? Thanks!

Prazipro is safe to almost everything. It supposedly only is detrimental to fanworms, but I havent even seen that. I have treated it in tank twice with no problems. That is the only thing I would do, if it were me. I, personally, dont agree with medicating without just cause. So, I wouldnt even start metro without a reason, but thats just my opinion.

Is it possible that a rogue "agent" is startling these guys? I have a pair of picasso clowns that were dandy, and one jumped one day, and the other just sat at the top. I got real worried, until I found a LARGE rogue crab, who mustve been terrorizing them. Once removed, clowns were situation normal.

Jeremy, do you use Prazipro in a reef? I use it in my FO systems for gill/eye flukes (trematodes). There's nothing in the manufacturer's literature stating it is safe for other inverts so I've never used it... curious on your thoughts there.

Sorry to hijack... back to the topic...

We use Seachem Metronidazole and Focus. Focus also contains Nitrofurantoin which is an antibiotic. Metronidazole alone in the food it won't "stick" - the Focus is a polymer binder. That, IMO is the best delivery system of oral Metronidazole to de-worm fish. We use it routinely - esp. on sleeper gobies who are also notorious for intestinal worms on arrival - we'll feed it to all of the new fishes as a routine prophylactic.

I saw mention in another thread about using Prazipro for red planaria but was unclear if that was as a dip, or a whole-tank treatment - unless I've heard it directly from someone who has done it themselves, with good results, I'm too afraid to try it in a tank with inverts.

Jenn

jmaneyapanda;333703 wrote: Prazipro is safe to almost everything. It supposedly only is detrimental to fanworms, but I haven't even seen that. I have treated it in tank twice with no problems. That is the only thing I would do, if it were me. I, personally, don't agree with medicating without just cause. So, I wouldn't even start metro without a reason, but thats just my opinion.

Is it possible that a rogue "agent" is startling these guys? I have a pair of picasso clowns that were dandy, and one jumped one day, and the other just sat at the top. I got real worried, until I found a LARGE rogue crab, who must've been terrorizing them. Once removed, clowns were situation normal.

nothing at all. no rogue. the leopards went in sand during the day, too. came out later in the morning. That's either 1 of 2 things, the leopards just "do that" once in a while for an unknown reason, or, they are about to die. Since I just added to new one, and I haven't seen that one, I'm "thinking" it had something since my bipart just went in the sand too. That's just about enough time for any incubation period with a disease or parasite to take hold. really have no clue. All other fish are fine. 2 false percs, 1 yasha hase, 1 pinkbar gobi, and 2 dragonface pipes. Also,my pipefish are 2.5 years old, plus I have a wimpy yasha hase gobi. they would have been eaten already.

thanks! I'll give it a shot!

JennM;333715 wrote: Jeremy, do you use Prazipro in a reef? I use it in my FO systems for gill/eye flukes (trematodes). There's nothing in the manufacturer's literature stating it is safe for other inverts so I've never used it... curious on your thoughts there.

Sorry to hijack... back to the topic...

We use Seachem Metronidazole and Focus. Focus also contains Nitrofurantoin which is an antibiotic. Metronidazole alone in the food it won't "stick" - the Focus is a polymer binder. That, IMO is the best delivery system of oral Metronidazole to de-worm fish. We use it routinely - esp. on sleeper gobies who are also notorious for intestinal worms on arrival - we'll feed it to all of the new fishes as a routine prophylactic.

I saw mention in another thread about using Prazipro for red planaria but was unclear if that was as a dip, or a whole-tank treatment - unless I've heard it directly from someone who has done it themselves, with good results, I'm too afraid to try it in a tank with inverts.

Jenn

Yup, twice. No ill effects at all.

At standard dosage?

What were you treating for? Planaria? Or internal parasites in fish?

Any shrimp, crabs, or other crustaceans in the tank?

I probably should start a new thread on this :)

Jenn

I was being OCD paranoid about an angel I had put trhough qt, but never treated for worms, and some fish cohorts put the fear of god in me of worms. So I treated the display. With shrimp, crabs, corals. No problems. from what Ive heard, only tubeworms/featherdusters can be impaired, but my Christmas tree rock was absolutely fine the whole time. I dosed exactly as the bottle indicates. Bear in mind, praziquantel can be overdosed and can have some sever effects. I wouldnt suggest trying to treat fish off label with this product.

Thanks for the info :) Angels are notorious for trematodes (eye/gill flukes) - we usually FW dip any fish with visible infestation and treat the FO system they are in as a preventative lest it spread.

I've never used it with inverts - but now you have me curious. We seem to have eradicated the red planaria we get from time to time (knock on wood) but I may do some careful testing (not in the main system at first) if/when we see them again.

I FW dip corals when I see them - usually under 1 minute gets rid of them but if I could carefully dose the invert/coral system periodically to keep them gone, that would be a good thing.

If anything I might try a lesser dose to see how much is needed to be effective.

I've not used Prazipro for intestinal parasites though (trying hard to get back on topic...).. only external ones.

For the internal ones we still go with Metronidazole & Focus.

Jungle makes an antiparasite pellet that, IIRC, has Praziquantel and Metronidazole. I had one treatment once, and I can't recall what it was, but it also had Lavamisol. All are de-wormers used in mammals too.

Jenn

Yup, levamisole. But I have never been able to get a fish to eat it. It must taste/smell atrocious to fish. Metronidazole is not characteristically a dewormer. It is primarily effectibe against protozoans and anaerobes. It may be effective against some internal flukes or worms, but I would still go with prazipro (praziquntel), if it were me.

Also, FWIW, the external adult flukes will be knocked off by a FW dip, but eggs will not.

I've been prescribed Metrondidazole for a bacterial infection I picked up in a tropical locale. :( Made my mouth taste like metal. Nasty stuff (but it worked in 3 days).

I have a friend who routinely buys Met from me to de-worm kittens. (She fosters for a volunteer rescue that often gets feral kittens).

You're right about the flukes/eggs - which is why we treat the whole system if we see them or suspect.

Jenn

What type of worms? Its seems rather unnecessary to use an antiprotozoal to treat worms, when there are wormers available. Especially when it can upset the natural gut flora and fauna.

JennM;333848 wrote:
Jungle makes an antiparasite pellet that, IIRC, has Praziquantel and Metronidazole. I had one treatment once, and I can't recall what it was, but it also had Lavamisol. All are de-wormers used in mammals too.

Jenn

yes, but I can't get a clown & gobi to eat that, nevermind a leopard wrasse that only wants to eat live food.

jmaneyapanda;333863 wrote: What type of worms? Its seems rather unnecessary to use an antiprotozoal to treat worms, when there are wormers available. Especially when it can upset the natural gut flora and fauna.

Don't know - she buys it and she told me that's what she uses it for.

Our dog has been prescribed Met for some sort of intestinal issue - wasn't worms but I think it was a protozoan.

Jenn

Usually its used for gastroenteritis or giardia, but I cant think of a good use of it to treat for worms. Anywho....

mysterybox;333864 wrote: yes, but I can't get a clown & gobi to eat that, nevermind a leopard wrasse that only wants to eat live food.
You can likely gutload any live food with any med you want. As I mentioned, if it were me, I'd be precautious about prophylactically treating. It may, or may not be merited.

Back