Need advice on Metro for Fish

When I suspected a wrasse had internal parasites, I "gutloaded" brine. Basically, I added some prazi to a cup with BS. It was funny to see how the Prazi almost bonded to the BS, their legs were white from the prazi. The result was a wrasse that started to gain weight. I would give this a try before you dosed the whole system.

that I'd another good option, if the fish come out of the sand. When u first put them in the tank, they disappear for 1 to 7 days, maybe more. By then, it could be too late. Yeah, but if they come out. That might be the safest route.
Thanks!

You need to be VERY careful feeding prazipro to fish. They can overdose on it, and kill them. I, conversely, would dose the whole system well before trying this method. Prazipro is safe, but people just dont want to believe it. I understand the theory, but we will put Interceptor, driveway de-icer, and vodka into our tanks, without a second thought. Yet, this medication is avoided for "some reason".

SO you can "soak" the fish in prazi, but overdose by feeding? I know you have all of the experience, but I have never seen that documented. Hey, not trying to raise a ruckus, but it worked for me. i actually talked to a friend that imports fish, and that is what he recommended.
Ralph,
If you can get the fish out and willing to eat, I would recommend this.
I do find it doubtfut that a wrasse could pass an internal parasite without ingesting it. Is that possible? I really have no idea! I would think that if both were out eating, then they would have a better chance of passing the parasite, no?

jmaneyapanda;333894 wrote: You need to be VERY careful feeding prazipro to fish. They can overdose on it, and kill them. I, conversely, would dose the whole system well before trying this method. Prazipro is safe, but people just dont want to believe it. I understand the theory, but we will put Interceptor, driveway de-icer, and vodka into our tanks, without a second thought. Yet, this medication is avoided for "some reason".

Mr. Boston's Vodka at that! LOL! great points........

MvM;333901 wrote: SO you can "soak" the fish in prazi, but overdose by feeding? I know you have all of the experience, but I have never seen that documented. Hey, not trying to raise a ruckus, but it worked for me. i actually talked to a friend that imports fish, and that is what he recommended.
Ralph,
I do find it doubtfut that a wrasse could pass an internal parasite without ingesting it. Is that possible? I really have no idea! I would think that if both were out eating, then they would have a better chance of passing the parasite, no?

The praziquentel is doesd into the tank volume at a known dosage. Beive it or not, the tank water does go INTO the fish in there. They do drink the water. When gutloading it and feeding it, you have no idea how much you are giving them. I dont even know how much praziquentel is in each ml of prazipro. Like you, not to cause a ruckus, but I can get you a link of prazipro killing fish that were fed it.

Praziquentel can be administered orally, but only safely by knowing the fishes mass, and administering the med to it by single fish only. Impractical-yes. But thats the best safe way.

Anyone can do whatever you want. If you want to feed it to your fish, go ahead. But it is risky. That is the fact.

MvM;333901 wrote: SO you can "soak" the fish in prazi, but overdose by feeding? I know you have all of the experience, but I have never seen that documented. Hey, not trying to raise a ruckus, but it worked for me. i actually talked to a friend that imports fish, and that is what he recommended.
Ralph,

I ordered prazi, but that's it. At this point, I am only trying to prepare for my next round of Leopards if these 2 don't make it. That's all. iamwrasseman on rc just lost 3 Choati Wrasse at a thousand bucks. His other leopards(7) that were treated are fine. He used Jungle Jim's which had metro and something else. So that's where I am. researching here. It just seems strange that I added one, and 7 days later or so, my other one goes into the sand. No sign today of either one. Hey, tomorrow, they both could be up! I don't think there is a lot of info out there of these guys except whne everything is all "fine & dandy".

I have a bottle of that jungle medicated pellet, with prazi, metro, and levamisole in it, if you want. nothing eats it, though.

actually, you guys couldn't have presented differing views any nicer and more thorough! So thanks as there is more "in dept" info when views differ!

jmaneyapanda;333913 wrote: I have a bottle of that jungle medicated pellet, with prazi, metro, and levamisole in it, if you want. nothing eats it, though.

got the same one I believe. it states parasites. you r right. nothing eats it. Thanks though.

Heres that thread. Look at the final page.

showthread.php

Jeremy,
You have forgotten more than I know about treatment and disease! (compliment intended).
I completely understand your point. From a diagnostic standpoint, you want to control the amount of medicine administered. I spoke of what worked for me. Had I known the risk of OD, i probably would have been more careful. Ignorance is bliss, but it worked!!

I took no offense, and hope you didnt either. What you mentioned is true of all meds, where dosage is paramount. Some drugs may be safer than others, but there is a risk. Was your method dangerous? Surely not. In my OPINION, I would go another method, but that is just my opinion.

Now put sand in your tank!!!

jmaneyapanda;333962 wrote: I took no offense, and hope you didnt either. What you mentioned is true of all meds, where dosage is paramount. Some drugs may be safer than others, but there is a risk. Was your method dangerous? Surely not. In my OPINION, I would go another method, but that is just my opinion.

Now put sand in your tank!!!
I put a tiny cup of sand in the back left corner for the coris wrasse. He loves it!!!

Back