Need advise on my sandbed

aXio;1088532 wrote: If you are just siphoning and not actually removing the sand then there shouldn't be any issues to keep going every day or so. Safest choice obviously would be to test the water after everything settles down and make sure you didn't stir anything up to cause a nutrient spike. If everything tests fine then just keep on going.

The biggest risk with bacteria was if you were actually removing the sand.

I decided to keep the sand and clean it in small areas at a time. On the replacement water I am testing Salinity, Temp, and pH. No adverse effects so far. :up:

See that you are testing the replacement water but reccomend the tank water after the sand cleaning. Testing around the nitrogen cycle because thats where you may see a spike (deadly consequences...) Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate.

dball711;1088542 wrote: See that you are testing the replacement water but reccomend the tank water after the sand cleaning. Testing around the nitrogen cycle because thats where you may see a spike (deadly consequences...) Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate.

Good idea, I'll start testing for Nitrate after the water changes.

Yes absolutely test the tank water after the change. Also testing for pH, temp, salinity is good but those are not the important things to look out for in this situation. The clean replacement water should always test perfect so you won't see any issues there.

You want to test the nutrient/organics by testing Nitrate and especially testing for Nitrite and Ammonia. Those 2 are the most important things to watch in my opinion.

aXio;1088545 wrote: Yes absolutely test the tank water after the change. Also testing for pH, temp, salinity is good but those are not the important things to look out for in this situation. The clean replacement water should always test perfect so you won't see any issues there.

You want to test the nutrient/organics by testing Nitrate and especially testing for Nitrite and Ammonia. Those 2 are the most important things to watch in my opinion.

Will do. Thanks for the advice! :fish:

Back