Need carpentry help!

skriz

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a canopy for my tank. The tank is 10 feet long and 3' wide.

I am planning on making 2 panels that swing up on hinges on each 10' side.
what wood should I use to make these 5' panels (60" x 23")?

I have seen large sheets of plywood, and they all seem to have a slight bend to them. I don't want my canopy to have non-flat doors! :boo:

Without seeing what you havein mind not sure. But you could use 1/2 inch plywood and frame with 2x2's or you could us better grade 3/4 inch (sanded on both sides) and probably not need to frame it up. weight is going to be the issue in which way you go.

I would also recommend the plywood but 1/2 is too thin IMHO.

You can save money by buying "one side smooth" some call it one side sanded.

It is important however that if you use this material that you use a table saw.

Cutting with a circular saw will leave your cuts less than straight or you can cover up the wiggly cuts with moulding.

The plywood accepts stains very well. Use glue and a brad nailer and your good to go. When you fill the nail holes with putty, a useful hint is to mix some putty with your stain before you fill the holes. If not, the stain will not cover the putty as well as the wood and you will see where you puttied.

thanks guys!

I think i will go with 3/4" wood. I'll use the one side smooth ply that I used for the base. I plan to paint it and then add a special touch...will post pics when done.

As far as the base, I was going to paint it the same color as the walls and add the same moulding. Any tips on how to make it look like drywall?

Run a very thin skim coat of sheetrock mud on it. Let it dry and sand smooth.

Once it's painted it will be very water resistant.

russ- it's a penninsula tank. When done, it will look like it's "built in"

it is not in a wall or anything, if that's what you mean.

thanks for the tip Loren, sounds easy enough!

Raj,

I need to come see this tank, It looks like it will be awsome!!! ;)

BTW: What do you do in "Real Estate"?

Xyzpdq0121;72702 wrote: Raj,

I need to come see this tank, It looks like it will be awsome!!! ;)

BTW: What do you do in "Real Estate"?

Will be is correct Brandon! It will be awesome when all the work is done! Your welcome to come check it out anytime. But be warned, I may put you to work :D

Real estate investment and development

Skriz;72709 wrote: Will be is correct Brandon! It will be awesome when all the work is done! Your welcome to come check it out anytime. But be warned, I may put you to work :D

It would not be the first time I have been roped in. It is great to "Play" with other people's tanks! ;)

Real estate investment and development

Ok just wondering, I have seen it on your profile and ofcourse, doing what I do for a living, when I find someone else in "real estate" it always gets me asking questions. Not to delve into personal stuff, just got me wondering.

Back