Need help choosing my next Nano tank.

Airwolfjohn

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am about to buy a second nano tank and was hoping to get some insight and wisdom from veteran reef tankers. I am looking to either get the coralife bio cube 32 or the Red Sea max nano peninsula. I don’t know what be the better choice. I know the Red Sea tank has a decent light and has a protein skimmer already. But I know the bio cube is alil cheaper and about 6 more gallons of water capacity. So any help making the best choice would greatly be appreciated. Thank you all in advance, John

Have you looked into the Innovative marine AIOs? I know a lot of people with their tanks and have never heard a complaint. They have a few different sizes under 40G.

I just set up the IM nuvo 10 yesterday and it is a sweet looking tank for it's size.

The curved edges of the biocube throw me off. It distorts the view. Between the two, I would personally go with the RSM. The thick, low iron glass is worth it imo. If you want to keep higher light corals, you'll probably quickly find the biocube lighting to be insufficient.

This is a great deal.

Check out the Innovative Marine new 40 gallon Lagoon. It's what I'm going with. Has a ton of sandbed per gallon.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse but I really like Innovative Marine products. They've been around for a long time and I finally bought a Fusion 20 Pro a year or two ago. The build quality is great, there are tons of aftermarket parts/mods and all of the parts are replaceable.

I’m also a fan of IM! And don’t get me wrong, bio cubes are very unique, and AIO is the way to go for nano tanks in my opinion, but maintenance on them, at least for me, is rough. The integrated light in the hood makes for a very clean design when observing the tank, but during cleaning, you either have to be blinded by the light (if you flip up the lid on its hinges), or set it to the side and still have limited/poor visibility while cleaning. Also, magfloats are very iffy on anything acrylic so that translates to more manual cleaning, and more fighting with the lid/light.

I'd go with something from IM, I have one of their 25g rimless lagoon tanks and it's been nothing but a dream. I haven't heard any bad stories about IM, but I have about the other two.

I have a Waterbox 20 cube that I absolutely love. The glass is sooo clear. It is an AIO that I got used so I am not sure what if anything they come with when you buy them new.

I also have a Waterbox, 25g Peninsula Mini though, and love it as well. It’s a clean AIO that needs minimal upgrades to be working well right out of the box. Only thing I’ve had an issue with so far is the return pump that comes with it. Replaced it with a sicce syncra silent and it’s perfect now.

Back