need help real quick!!

wjake

Market
Reaction score
just started filling up my 210 gallon aquarium, we live on the 3rd floor (top floor) of our apartment.. i am getting a bit scared half way through because i am worried the floor will collapse... (no signs of it at all just worried)

anyone got any info on floor load capability for residential buildings/apartments etc

they are regular carpeted floors and i am almost positive that i am running perpendicular to the floor joists

please some input real quick

The joists will always run on the short span.

So if you are looking at your tank and you do a 180 if that measurement is shorter than if you did a 90 then 99% you are running perp to the joist.

If the tank is in the middle of the floor you will notice a deflection very quickly. If this is the case take a ball and set it a foot from the tank and as you fill it if the ball moves to the tank STOP.

The best scenario is you are on an outside wall then you can be assured that the joist ends are bearing on the wall below and the wall below that and then down to the slab.

210 gallons is roughly 1680# plus tank and stand and sand. Probably more weight then anyone anticipated.

What you have going for you is that multifamily have more stringent codes than single family.

Need more info on your situation.

the tank is 65" long and 22" front to back... the floors are wood, and it is on against the outer wall of our living room...

Depends greatly on the footprint of the tank. Its not as important how much it wieghs as much as how much it wieghs per square foot. Most refrigerators wiegh in at what? 300 to 350 pounds on four square feet of floor space?

I wouldn't want to advise you that it will be fine, but its probably not the probem you think it is...... Divide the total square footage of the foot print into the maximum wieght of the tank if full, see what that product is....

Heck, I lived through the whole waterbed graze of the seventies and eighties, I never heard of one of them crashing through the floor.

Assuming 10lbs per gallon total weight, you're looking at about 212lbs/ft^2. I hate to give advice on this because I'm not an engineer, but I've put a 125 and a 155 on 3rd floors before with no issues.

12 square ft of footprint for the stand.. and about 2000lbs TOTAL with the acrylic tank and stand, and water and sand

A good point to be sure but my guess is they be wood.

No sir if this is wood framing like I assume you are whistling past the graveyard. Even if the joists are on 12" centers that is still too much weight per joist IMHO.

See if your neighbors below would mind if you came in and built them some columns!

Just off the top of my head, I'm coming up with 175# per square foot. Heck, I got friends that wiegh that much. It'd be like having 5 of them lined up against your wall.........

In my very humble and uneducated opinion, I think its ok

wjake;69593 wrote: 12 square ft of footprint for the stand.. and about 2000lbs TOTAL with the acrylic tank and stand, and water and sand

12 square feet is for the All Glass 210, That tank's sq. ft is 9.9~. Based on 5.41' x 1.83'. It must be an odd stand for that tank. In that case it would be 175lbs/ft^2

Its not about the weight per square foot. Its about the weight on the load points.

Waterbeds and full bath tubs do come crashing down. Most attics are not even built to be used as storage space yet most people do it.

Is this an attic? That completely changes everything. But dont think hes talking about a converted attic, but understand your point none the less.

The wieght of the tank would have to be spread over 3 joist, seems like he'd be fine to me...........

That question can not be answered without knowing more detail.

If the joists extend across a wall, the load points will be greater because most of the load will be transfered down to the wall and the wall below that and then the slab.

If however the joists are "hung" using a top mount hanger you are talking about each joist being suspended by a tin hanger and 4 - 6 nails.

The only way you can know for sure is:

1. You know exactly which way the joist run.

2. You know what material was used for the joist.

3. You know the unsupported span of the joist.

4. The subfloor material.

Basically you need to see the thing framed prior to sheetrock and at the very least a set of prints witha joist/truss layout.

People like Boise Cascade can do a load calc if you use their material.

Without xray vision you have know way of knowing anything for sure.

What if the framer ran out of hangers and just toenailed the joist into the top plate? Doom.

I say without knowing how the building is framed I would give all the people below you towels and a mop bucket and carry your checkbook at all times.

But again I build residential houses I don't build multi family. There is no way I would ever put a 210 tank on the second floor of the house I currently live in because I didn't build it.

If this building was built in 2003, chances are the records containing permit, inspections, architectural drawings, etc. have not yet been archived. I know it doesn't help you much tonight, but check with your local permitting agency to see what kind of information you can gather about the building. You can also get the name of the builder who might also be willing to share information.

Codes are often posted online (Cobb County's are). Check your county's government website (or your city website, if you're within the city limits) and see what kind of information you can find on building codes. You may be able to gather clues regarding the structure.

if i did run across 3 joists, and they are properly supported would it be ok?? i am sitting here with 2100$ in a tank, and had it filled to about 120 gallons, and now draining it back down, terrified i will split the floor..

ok this is wierd. i just pealed back the carpet and the floor underneth is white.. it isnt cement, it looks like plaster or something wierd.. but isnt cement..!! again the building was built in 2003

ok i took a drill and a 1/4 drill bit and put a small hole (across the room) into the subfloor.. you can use drywall as a subfloor can you? the reason i ask it looks like drywall when you drill into it. and its white like a gypsum or something.. again we live in a really nice apartment this isnt the slums or something so i have to expect they were well built, or at least they should be for 1600/ month...

but none the less i am still stuck about what to do with the tank

Back