need help real quick!!

A white floor could be an indicator of a couple of things:

1 ~ it could be a combination of paint and sheet rock mud on top of the wood (which is quite common) or

2 ~ it could be a cement-based flooring product

or, something of which I'm not familiar.

If the joists were properly supported I think 4-5 joists would be the absolute minimum that I would attempt.

Not trying to scare you, just feel you should err on the side of caution.

wow, I shocked that Ky rents are so expensive, but that's based on location, not workmanship.

I've been out of the construction biz too long to know exactly what you have on the subfloor, Maybe they are using new materials nowdays,but it definately isn't drywall. Perhaps its a thinset floor leveling compound that was used.

If your renting, is it going to be an issue to the landlord that you have the landlord that you have this huge tank?

Hey Loren, could he put a large piece of heavy plywood under his stand to increase the footprint and disperse the weight over more joist, square footage? I know what makes sense to a layman, and what actually works are two very different things.......

actually i think you guessed it when you said sheetrock mud and paint on top of the wood. that is the way it looked, thats why i guess sheetrock, (which i know isnt load bearing)

ok well i will stop filling, is it fair to say if it dosnt drop through the floor in the first 2 days it wont?? assuming the floor isnt rotting or termites eating the building or something...? or is this something that (assuming you are not bouncing excessivly or jumping or adding more weight to the room) that if it holds for even a week with normal room use then i am ok, (im am going to tell the leasing office about it tomorrow-- although they have no policies on waterbeds and aquariums) i really think they will say do whatever you like--

i think that much weight would be to much. If you talk to the apt complex people , of course they are gonna tell you not to do it. Thats a huge judgement call.

I assure you paying $1,600 a month doesnt mean its good construction! I lived is a brand new place it Atlanta for that price and by the time I moved out a year later I was suprised the place was still standing.

talked to the leasing office and told them what i was doing, they said the floor is 1/2 inch thick gyp-crete, guess it is some wierd form of concrete, and then 1/2 inch of plywood under it, and then WOOD joists.. and said it "SHOULD" be ok...does that release me from liability if they give me the go ahead and say it should be ok..?

IMO I say your fine and should not have any concerns. I just talked to a very good friend and told him of the situation and informed me he has had customers put 9' Baby Grands with those specs and has seen no concerns at all... As some say, multi family dwellings have codes that need to be followed for firewalls and such and more than exceed anything we put in our single family dwellings....

Again..this is only my two cents because thats about all its worth :)

Good luck!

I would get renters insurance coverage A.S.A.P.. If it was me I wouldn't do it but if you can't resist the urge then go for it with caution. I've work in the multi-family residential industry for serveral years and I've never heard any manager or construction worker say it was ok to put a tank that size on a third floor apartment. If I were you I would look into moving to a ground floor unit where you have no worries.

Gypcrete. A product I'm unfamiliar with.

But sounds to me like they gave you a green light. Renters insurance is probably very smart. Put the tank as close to the wall as you can.

Sorry to scare you but it is better to be safe then sorry, personally I would not have the cajones to do it but very good luck and please keep us posted.

wjake;69775 wrote: talked to the leasing office and told them what i was doing, they said the floor is 1/2 inch thick gyp-crete, guess it is some wierd form of concrete, and then 1/2 inch of plywood under it, and then WOOD joists.. and said it "SHOULD" be ok...does that release me from liability if they give me the go ahead and say it should be ok..?

Might be a good idea to ask the leasing office *in writing* and ask them to reply in writing. Without something on paper, if something happens, they could always deny that they told you it was okay.

Gypcrete is a light weight material used most often to achieve a fire and/or sound rating in wood structures. It is also used as a leveling material. It is not known for its structural aspects.

I have to agree with Dakota9. The weight should be spread out enough for you to be safe. As he said, we had waterbeds in the 70's and 80's and they never fell through the floor. Granted a waterbed's weight is dispursed over a greater area but you're only looking at 175 lbls per sq ft. If it was 500 I would be worried. Can't tell you what to do but I can say if it were mine I would fill it up.

Linda Lee;69803 wrote: Might be a good idea to ask the leasing office *in writing* and ask them to reply in writing. Without something on paper, if something happens, they could always deny that they told you it was okay.

They surely will deny it. No manager in their right mind would tell you to go ahead and do this.

Back