Need help with MH Question

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
When I bought the 210G it came with a magnetic ballast that drives two 250W MH bulbs that are connected via the same wiring cord to the two moguls. It is old and runs very hot and I want to replace it with an electronic ballast. I would like to get a single dual ballast. Can I just swap out the ballast without any other wiring? From what I can find on line, it looks like all the dual ballasts have two connections to drive both bulbs independently on/off. I need a single connection that has the five plug configuration. The ballast also drives the VHOs on my tank so I need to keep it but that does not run hot and I can just keep the MH powered off. Also, I have seen digital electronic ballasts and not sure what the differences are between the two. Seems like the digital have a chip of some sort that maintain the power levels at a constant level and the electronic may vary, and that may extend the bulb life? Anybody help?

I know a company that sells dual electr. ballast with pretty much any kinda plugs you need..I think the dual 250 HQI was around $140

Bob, I bought a PC ballast from a company over your way. I think it was Atlanta Light.

You should be able to splice the wiring from the old sockets into the wires from the new ballasts. Is this a fixture or a retrofit your are messing with?

James,
It's a retrofit PFO that has two MH moguls with a single cord to the ballast. Next time you are in the area you can stop by and hook me up another CB for the fish room and the garage. :D

Thanks!
BZ

Back