Need Help With SPS ID?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
One of the SPSs I just got on some live rock is very bright neon green and looks to be an encrusting type. Attached is a picture that shows the swirls but is not reall the true color. Any ideas?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
98517=6136-Coral_SPS_unk_DSC02590_071106.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
98517=6136-Coral_SPS_unk_DSC02590_071106.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Coral_SPS_unk_DSC02590_071106.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Hmmm.... I didn't pick that one out as being possible when I looked through the book I have but now that you mention it it does kind of look like it. Thanks! I'm not really planning on keeping SPS in my new tank, but I may have to make an exception for at least one of the two rocks that are covered with it. It must not be very aggressive since it is right up against a zoa colony that looks to be doing well.

I have another that I will post pictures of as well that I think is a Cup Coral.

usually SPS isnt too agressive towards zoos. Now next to another SPS, thats a different story.

Ok, here's the other one that looks a lot like the scroll coral in my book. What do you think?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
98525=6137-Coral_SPS_Turbinaria_reniformis_071107.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
98525=6137-Coral_SPS_Turbinaria_reniformis_071107.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Coral_SPS_Turbinaria_reniformis_071107.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

def a cup coral, aka scroll. They both are members of the Turbinaria
family. Ohhhh I see you have the rare asktray coral too! Nice.....hook a brother up with a frag of that ;)

The first one could be Leptosris cuculata. There's a good picture of it in "Corals A Quick Reference Guide" by Julian Sprung pg 44.

Scratch that, it looks more like L. explanata pg.46. Thats real nice looking want to frag it? :yes:

Bud, those looks quite toxic and predatory. You better give them to me just in case. I know, I know, I'm too nice and you own me big time! I'm just doing it for the Club! ;)

calireefer;98794 wrote: Scratch that, it looks more like L. explanata pg.46. Thats real nice looking want to frag it? :yes:

Does Sprung show that as a plate type coral or an encrusting type? I only have Corals by Eric Borneman and he shows those as plate type. This is definitely an encrusting coral. It is growing in the middle of two very large rocks that have other zoas/palys so I'm not sure it would be possible to frag it without destroying the rock which I don't really want to do.

Skriz;98813 wrote: Bud, those looks quite toxic and predatory. You better give them to me just in case. I know, I know, I'm too nice and you own me big time! I'm just doing it for the Club! ;)

Ha!

Back