Need help with trates

mrflameangel

Market
Reaction score
Ok I've been having a problem with trates for about a month now. My sps are beginning to show signs and have lost a few pieces. I need some ideas how to combat this cause I'm out of them. I just had a bout with red slim and the lights went out for 3 days (all gone now). Now I just a light brown dusting in spots of the sand.

180g
Weekly 30g water changes
I use rodi water 0 tds
Trates- 1ppm
1.026 sg
Temp 78.8-79.1
Cal 410
Alk 8.4

I am currently skimming wet. I run 3 cups of Gfo in a reactor. I do have 1 extra reactor not currently running and could add any thing you all think that would help me.

Thanks for any help and advice.

What test kit are you using? 1ppm shouldn't be causing you too many issues.

I found my SeaChem test kit red 1ppm while a Red Sea test kit read 5ppm.

Maybe cut back on your feeding a little, not that you mentioned anything about that, but might be worth a shot.

Also NO3:pO4 - X could help.

what kind of biomedia are you using? if you're not using something like seachems matrix or marine pure ceremic block/balls id highly recommend it they give lots of internal surface area so that anaerobic bacteria that consume nitrates have somewhere to live. also add a bacterial supplement if you do one of those. and in the mean time you can use prime or alpha to help detoxify your trates. but 1ppm isnt really something to worry about IMO

ShanePike;862542 wrote: Have you tried macro algae?

I have not But will start looking into it.

I use the Red Sea test kits. The trates are the only thing I see that in the tests that could cause this. The phates are not showing up but I'm sure they are there.

If I had carbon do you think that would help?

would def try some macroalgae. Its a great way to naturally reduce nitrate levels without effecting your system if contained properly. And best of all its VERY inexpensive! Get a softball size of Chaeto and throw it in...wait a week or so and see where your levels are at...best of luck </em>

I agree that some biomedia might help because im not sure how many lbs of rock you have. I have heard great things about biopellets. Might want to give that a try.
What does your sps look like browning or bleaching?

I am getting ready to head over to lowes now and pick up some egg create and a light for it. The next step it to get one of these middle ga reefers to come off some micro algae. Lol

just outta curiosity, what type of lighting are you using? T5/MH? how old are the bulbs? might be time to change those bc like one of the earlier post said, 1ppm of nitrates could be harmful to SPS but shouldn't have this much impact. I would still try the macro algae though....

cment;862567 wrote: just outta curiosity, what type of lighting are you using? T5/MH? how old are the bulbs? might be time to change those bc like one of the earlier post said, 1ppm of nitrates could be harmful to SPS but shouldn't have this much impact. I would still try the macro algae though....

I use both and they are new bulbs and ballast for all fixtures.

Ok big shout out to curt and butch for stepping and helping out. I now have the light and algae. Butch also gave me some matrix until I replace his stock. Thanks a lot guys.

Jb you still suck

awesome...love seeing ppl come together to help out! Good luck...!

I got some purigen I can regenerate and you can use. GHA algae is keeping my trates down.:)

Ok the cheato is basking in the new light
862609=44960-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286158.848197.jpg
>
862609=44960-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286158.848197.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286158.848197.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
and the matrix is rock solid in the reactor.
862609=44961-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286178.672162.jpg
>
862609=44961-ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286178.672162.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367286178.672162.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Hope this will help. We will find out. Thanks for the tips and ideas guys.

MrFlameangel;862585 wrote: I use both and they are new bulbs and ballast for all fixtures.

Ok big shout out to curt and butch for stepping and helping out. I now have the light and algae. Butch also gave me some matrix until I replace his stock. Thanks a lot guys.

Jb you still suck

Your welcome buddy! Ha Ha Ha just curious why JB sucks?

Back