Need help

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok so I was talking with @jcook54 about what I thought was a Cyano problem. But I might have been wrong. So I really don't know what I'm dealing with. Here are some pictures with all whites.
MVIMG_20191221_154538.jpgMVIMG_20191221_154448.jpgMVIMG_20191221_154343.jpgMVIMG_20191221_131631.jpg
Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what to do moving forward bc I really don't know what it is.

I'm not a experts by no means but it looks like cyano I had enough to know my 220 bred it when I first started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you @civics14 I didn't want to say it. Tru reading this Lawrence and hopefully someone else will weigh in also.

Hard to tell in the pic. But I personally wouldn't worry just yet. Your tank is still young and establishing itself. I've found it never hurts to up the flow, blow off the rocks and try to get it thru the overflow into a sock. As for the sand bed you can take your gravel cleaner/syphon direct the flow into the sump into the filter sock and skim the top layer off the remove the sock, then test nutrient levels.

Nice pics btw, too bad it has to be on a problem but you'll be taking awesome pics of crazy colored SPS in no time. I think it's diatoms and here's why:
  1. In my experience, cyano grew much more like a "mat" and there weren't that many long stringy things. When I had diatoms, they were more spaced out and stringy.
  2. Diatoms make sense given the age of your tank. It's been running for approximately 90-100-ish days? Seem like you're right on track for some of the new tank uglies like a diatom outbreak followed by maddening GHA.
  3. When I've dealt with cyano, it's been red. So many of the things we deal with like this are brown, brownish, or rust colored that it's hard to even describe but the cycano that's I've dealt with was red.
  4. I usually see dinoflagellates with a lot more bubbles trapped in the slime stings. Is this always the case? Of course not, that would be too easy.
  5. You've been dealing with this for a little while now (at least) and it's not too bad yet. One things I've noticed about dino's is that they reproduce at an astonishing rate and it's surprising how fast they can explode even in a single day.
The biggest factor in why I would think it might be dinos is the super low levels of nitrates and phosphates. Dino are always in our systems but they typically get competition from all of the other less-evil stuff in out systems. When the nutrient levels are very low, some of this competition can die off and dinos start showing up.

My thoughts were leaning towards Dino when I looked at the pictures. In my experience cyano is a bit thicker and fiends a mat with bubbles in it, Dino is thin and has floating bubbles. Your pics look like it's more brown as well which points to dinos.

How ever you are exporting nutrients needs to be adjusted for your input. Don't start feeding more, you're just filtering too much.

Nice pics btw, too bad it has to be on a problem but you'll be taking awesome pics of crazy colored SPS in no time. I think it's diatoms and here's why:
  1. In my experience, cyano grew much more like a "mat" and there weren't that many long stringy things. When I had diatoms, they were more spaced out and stringy.
  2. Diatoms make sense given the age of your tank. It's been running for approximately 90-100-ish days? Seem like you're right on track for some of the new tank uglies like a diatom outbreak followed by maddening GHA.
  3. When I've dealt with cyano, it's been red. So many of the things we deal with like this are brown, brownish, or rust colored that it's hard to even describe but the cycano that's I've dealt with was red.
  4. I usually see dinoflagellates with a lot more bubbles trapped in the slime stings. Is this always the case? Of course not, that would be too easy.
  5. You've been dealing with this for a little while now (at least) and it's not too bad yet. One things I've noticed about dino's is that they reproduce at an astonishing rate and it's surprising how fast they can explode even in a single day.
The biggest factor in why I would think it might be dinos is the super low levels of nitrates and phosphates. Dino are always in our systems but they typically get competition from all of the other less-evil stuff in out systems. When the nutrient levels are very low, some of this competition can die off and dinos start showing up.
Lol, I was typing my response while you were typing yours, good to see that we were thinking along the same lines.

THANKS everyone. Im going to turn off my skimmer and not run my fuge light. To try and get my nutrients up.

If your skimmer is easy to tune I would suggest just opening the gate valve all the way, you will still get a good gas exchange but won't produce skimmate

dinos are tough to get rid of during my fallow i thought i got rid of them because i didn't turn the lights on too often now that i have fish back in the DT they are starting to come back

Back