Need help

I'm thinking Dino's too. Vibrant will do the trick in a few weeks to a month but it will kill the macro too. Everyone gets the new tank uglies in different ways.

If you have good surface agitation from the powerheads you can cut back on the skimmer but it'd still be a good idea to run it at night. Cutting the photo period on the macro will help too. I wouldn't use Vibrant at this stage yet. If you start getting bad gha then maybe.

Work on getting the chemistry in balance, it will help a lot.

I'm late to the party but +1 on Dinos. You can still get them when nitrate and phosphate at 0.

I have heard that Vibrant can clear dino out if the system, but I don't have any experience to back that up.
I've also read the some have had alot of crabs and snails die after dosing vibrant, I was gonna try it for an algae bloom but after reading many mixed reviews I just got rid of it the old fashioned way

First step is just doing lights out for a few days and dosing peroxide. This works for most people.

Lights out a def for 3 days. But it drove me crazy with mine out. So every water change sifon the sandbed

I've also read the some have had alot of crabs and snails die after dosing vibrant, I was gonna try it for an algae bloom but after reading many mixed reviews I just got rid of it the old fashioned way
Just curious, where did you read that about snails and crabs? I'm using it now, it's just bacteria, I didn't think this could at all be harmful to inverts. Maybe they lose their food source?

Just curious, where did you read that about snails and crabs? I'm using it now, it's just bacteria, I didn't think this could at all be harmful to inverts. Maybe they lose their food source?
I found people noting it an various reef forums. I wont say for sure it is harmful to any livestock but I just wasnt really willing to risk it just yet, it's still pretty new on the market isn't it? I guess I'm waiting to hear more success stories. Here's a link to one of the discussions about it. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/page-168

I found people noting it an various reef forums. I wont say for sure it is harmful to any livestock but I just wasnt really willing to risk it just yet, it's still pretty new on the market isn't it? I guess I'm waiting to hear more success stories. Here's a link to one of the discussions about it. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/page-168
Here's a like that reports some different issues

Here's a like that reports some different issues
Been reading the forums you posted, as far as invert death it seems to me that it's the algae being toxic based on what I read. If that's the case it sends like any measure to treat it would cause the same result.

The second link descibes a good reason to research how things when before you start using them. The poster claimed he didn't do proper research.

As for myself, my snails are good and algae is dieing off. My nitrates are really low, but I'm adding some back to the system to keep things healthy.

Been reading the forums you posted, as far as invert death it seems to me that it's the algae being toxic based on what I read. If that's the case it sends like any measure to treat it would cause the same result.

The second link descibes a good reason to research how things when before you start using them. The poster claimed he didn't do proper research.

As for myself, my snails are good and algae is dieing off. My nitrates are really low, but I'm adding some back to the system to keep things healthy.
Like I said I'm not knockin vibrant there are way more success stories than failures. It really seems amazing but I was able to get many of my problems solved within a short amount of time with small adjustments small water changes, and patients and the was successful at achieving the same results that vibrant has given to many people. But I didn't spend any money. I just took more care and time with my tank and tried to single out factors or changes I made that could have sparked the problem. If there's even one person that says it "might" kill something I'm immediately out. I'd rather fight it until I win. I hate to rely on something I don't fully understand

Like I said I'm not knockin vibrant there are way more success stories than failures. It really seems amazing but I was able to get many of my problems solved within a short amount of time with small adjustments small water changes, and patients and the was successful at achieving the same results that vibrant has given to many people. But I didn't spend any money. I just took more care and time with my tank and tried to single out factors or changes I made that could have sparked the problem. If there's even one person that says it "might" kill something I'm immediately out. I'd rather fight it until I win. I hate to rely on something I don't fully understand
Also I didn't personally know anyone using it. Now that I know you are using it would love to hear updates on the progress. I know you have great looking tanks so if you report good long term success I would absolutely give it a shot. How long have you been dosing?

So I have a question...I've read some stuff about Dino's and them being toxic. Do I need to run some carbon while I deal with them?

This is what I did. For the longest time I have been fighting chrysophyte and every now and then I encounter cyano/dino patches. Nothing serious but the chrysophyte was getting on my nerves because it covered all of the rocks that were exposed to the reefing light. At one point it looks like brown hair algae. Also I had a hell of a time IDing it until a recent BRS video.

So last week, I doser vibrant according to instruction and 3 day black out with tarp on. It’s one of the most nerve racking thjngs I have done for the tank. I continue to feed the fish like I normally do and even have the fuge light on.

3 days later, all chrysophyte gone. Cyano/dino patches gone. The only casualty I suffered was that I lost my soft ball size green birdsnest colony in the process, don’t know why. My bird of paradise was completely fine. But all in all, chrysophyte has been bothering for the last year or so, therefore it’s a price I’m willing to pay

Attachments

• 2FCAEAA4-B2B6-4818-B79D-76A0F84CC6E1.jpeg
    2FCAEAA4-B2B6-4818-B79D-76A0F84CC6E1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
Jeez, hate this for you with what sounds like a pretty new set up? I must have missed where (others know) it’s a new tank? How old is your tank?
Wondering what test kits your using getting 0 & 0?
If you need sand vacuum or hoses, filter socks... to try to get it cleaned up, I’ve got a bunch, P.m. me if you’d like.
GL 2U

P
Jeez, hate this for you with what sounds like a pretty new set up? I must have missed where (others know) it’s a new tank? How old is your tank?
Wondering what test kits your using getting 0 & 0?
If you need sand vacuum or hoses, filter socks... to try to get it cleaned up, I’ve got a bunch, P.m. me if you’d like.
GL 2U
Well the tank is like 2-3 months. I had most of this setup in a 40g for about 6 months. I'm using API for nitrates and Salifert for Phosphate. I have a Hanna for Phosphate but don't have any reagents for it. And thanks, I might take you up on the offer.

Back