Need Ideas For Coral?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
Now that I have redone the aquascaping in my 120G I have a bare rock in the middle of the tank that needs some corals. I prefer softies or LPS but the rock gets lots of light and lots of flow so I'm not sure what I can put there. I would consider an SPS but maybe only a monti plate that could grow out and shade the rest of the rock so I could put softies or LPS beneath it.

Any ideas? Here is a FTS and a closeup of the rock. The rock is the one that sticks up just to the right of the blue/purple hairy mushrooms.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
352646=17280-Reef Tank-120G_IMG_8292_Center_090528.jpg
>
352646=17280-Reef Tank-120G_IMG_8292_Center_090528.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Reef Tank-120G_IMG_8292_Center_090528.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
352646=17279-Reef Tank-120G_IMG_8297_FTS_090528.jpg
>
352646=17279-Reef Tank-120G_IMG_8297_FTS_090528.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Reef Tank-120G_IMG_8297_FTS_090528.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

WoW! that is a great looking tank Bud, cant wait to see it in person today.

A monti would look beautiful there.
Loving the purple mushy Bud.....if you want to sell one let me know!!!! :D

Thats a tough one Bud, but maybe like a green slimer or something. You dont have alot of green in the tank and the slimers a fast growing and very colorful.

I think you should cover it up with Neon Green Star Polyps! and I know where you can get some.. :D

I like the idea of having the montipora growing in the center of your tank. It would do well in the higher par at the top of your tank and should grow fast.

Z

Crowe;352652 wrote: WoW! that is a great looking tank Bud, cant wait to see it in person today.

Thanks Kevin, see you later this afternoon.

NotiReef;352653 wrote: A monti would look beautiful there.
Loving the purple mushy Bud.....if you want to sell one let me know!!!! :D

Sorry! I had a frag of three of them in my for sale thread, but someone is picking it up tomorrow night.

Do you know the Latin name of slimer? Is that an SPS? What's it look like?

WILLIAM1;352654 wrote: Thats a tough one Bud, but maybe like a green slimer or something. You dont have alot of green in the tank and the slimers a fast growing and very colorful.

Thanks, but I think I have enough GSP for now. Maybe a nice colorful green or purple plate would work.

bobz;352658 wrote: I think you should cover it up with Neon Green Star Polyps! and I know where you can get some.. :D

I like the idea of having the montipora growing in the center of your tank. It would do well in the higher par at the top of your tank and should grow fast.

Z

I would concur with the slimer. Impressive coloration and not a light hog in my tank (in fact, I had to move it down from the top before it began to grow). When I had it up top about 8" from the MH it stalled out. Moved it to mid tank and it's doubled in the past couple months (but it was a small frag to start with).

A bright orange montipora would give you lots of color and you would have the shade for your softies.

what gorgeous mushrooms! Haven't seen that purple color before. Any babies drop off, you call me!

I have a nice green monti with purple tips i would be willing to trade...it is starting to shadow over my other monti...probably about 3-4inches across and has about 3-4 mature shelves that are branching out

jonboyb;352667 wrote: I would concur with the slimer. Impressive coloration and not a light hog in my tank (in fact, I had to move it down from the top before it began to grow). When I had it up top about 8" from the MH it stalled out. Moved it to mid tank and it's doubled in the past couple months (but it was a small frag to start with).

That probably won't work since I want it at the top where the light is the brightest. I'm still looking for these in my book, but it doesn't have an index with common names.

Raz0945;352669 wrote: A bright orange montipora would give you lots of color and you would have the shade for your softies.

I have an orange monti on left side at the top, so if I go with Montipora, I'll look for a nice green or purple. So far this seems to be the best idea.

thagrimy1;352672 wrote: i would do a nice piece of suncoral

Either your joking or you know something about these that I don't know.

texhorns98;352673 wrote: There ARE empty rocks in the ocean, you know! :)

Thanks now I know where to look for empty rocks since it isn't going to be my tank. :D

glxtrix;352680 wrote: Very beautiful tank!

Thanks, Lee!

Thanks, Jess. I just listed a frag of them in my for sale thread and they are getting picked up tomorrow evening. Unfortunately, they multipy by splitting in half like anemones and really melt if you try to get them off the rocks.

JessPete;352682 wrote: what gorgeous mushrooms! Haven't seen that purple color before. Any babies drop off, you call me!

Back