Need Ideas For Coral?

jeep9783;352717 wrote: I have a nice green monti with purple tips i would be willing to trade...it is starting to shadow over my other monti...probably about 3-4inches across and has about 3-4 mature shelves that are branching out

Cool, what kinds of things do you keep that you would trade for? I mostly only have softies and LPSs.

Lps would work...this is the fastest growing monti...even the sister to it has just started showing some noticable growth...the one for you has trippled in size in less than three months...came from chris at einsteins i broke off a piece and glued to one of my rocks it is growing slow but the other welll...u wont have a barespot for long

I have some RED or Orange monti plate(you decide coor) you are welcome too!!

Jason

Thanks Jason, I already have some of that. I'm going to get a piece of green with puple rims from Jeep9783 and give that a try.

Rockdog;352776 wrote: I have some RED or Orange monti plate(you decide coor) you are welcome too!!

Jason

Thanks Rit. Luckily, I realy like the purple and green stuff. I have a red Blasto that started to die as soon as I put it in the tank and I had to put it back in the frag tank. I thought it was the lighting but it may be all the leathers I have on the left side since some of them can be pretty toxic. I also have a small acan frag that I got from Jin but I'm afraid to try to put it in there as well. It hasn't grown any since I got it and now I'm afraid to move it. I think I'll try the green with purple rim plate and once it grows enough to shade underneath it I'll try adding some of the other stuff including some zoas.

IamRit;352783 wrote: Nice looking reef, Bud. I was going to mention the orange capricornis but you have it in your tank already. The purple and the green with purple rimmed cap look nice as well but then you already have lots of purple and green in your tank already. Bright red blastos or Rainbow acans would add some diversities to your tank also. I can see some bright orange zoa/paly in there. I can also see a bright color Maxima clam resting on a piece of rock. No Gigas though. lol

Thanks, David! I'll have to look some of those up, they could be good alternatives. I've got a green plate coming from Jeep9783 that I could put on the left side of the rock so it shades the mushrooms a little and possibly some that you mention on the right. I'll have to do some research on them first, especially since they sound expensive. No colored sticks, though. If it doesn't wave at me I don't want it. :D

Big D;352988 wrote: <span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">Tanks looking great Bud... :up:</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">If you want to keep it simple and have some nice color, you might want to go with a nice Monti... True Undata, Rainbow, or Sunset... maybe even a Satosa.</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">If you really want some great color, you could get a nice frag of Ponape Birdsnest. I think it would really compliment your tank and Birdsnest are very hardy, easy to keep SPS that grow incredibly fast.</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">You need more color sticks! :D</span>

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS">David</span>

Tank looks great. I say a stag would help add some hight to the tank but a plating coral would provide the shade your looking for.

I have a neon green austera that would look good if you decide on something green. We can work out some sort of trade. I have a 3 to 4" tall frag available.

I also saw this weird monti on live aquaria yesterday and want someone here to get it. I am not a monti expert but I have never seen one that looks like this and appears to grow in a branching form.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+2&ddid=64607">http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+2&ddid=64607</a>

Joe

Thanks, Joe! I have plenty of room for something to grow upward so that is a good thought. When I started this thread I was really thinking only of getting LPSs that could withstand a lot of light and flow or something for the top of the rock that would shade the rest so I could put LPSs or softies under it. I don't really want to get into SPSs that much but you guys are making me at least think about it in a limited fashion. I still won't get any colored sticks, but something full enough to provide some shade or something encrusting that would be colorful would not be out of the question. I'm also concerned about the aggresive toxins that are probably swirling around the tank from all the leathers on the left side and all the mushrooms in the middle and right side.

sailfish;353122 wrote: Tank looks great. I say a stag would help add some hight to the tank but a plating coral would provide the shade your looking for.

I have a neon green austera that would look good if you decide on something green. We can work out some sort of trade. I have a 3 to 4" tall frag available.

I also saw this weird monti on live aquaria yesterday and want someone here to get it. I am not a monti expert but I have never seen one that looks like this and appears to grow in a branching form.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+2&ddid=64607">http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+2&ddid=64607</a>

Joe[/QUOTE]

Saturday, I picked up a few new corals for the center rock. I put a green with purple edge monti plate at the top left that I got from Jeep9783. He also gave me a montipora digitata but where I put it I couldn't get a picture of it. I'm going to move it the next time I'm in the tank and will try to get a picture then. I put a purple monti plate at the top right that I got from Bobz. Unfortunately when I tried removing the purple one from the frag plug it shattered in my hand so I glued in the biggest piece. Bobz also gave me three zoa frags, the two green ones I put lower down on the center rock and the red ones I put in a different spot of the tank. He also gave me a piece of ORA green bird's nest that I was going to put up top as well but after listening in to a conversation between Chris and Chris decided I better start it off on the bottom of the tank.

I also picked up a couple of chalice frags from Chris at Einsteins. I really botched the glue job on the one so hopefully it will attach and grow quickly to cover up the embarrassing mess I made of it.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
355068=17398-Coral-Zoa_Green_Green-Skirts_IMG_8332_120G_090608.jpg
>
355068=17398-Coral-Zoa_Green_Green-Skirts_IMG_8332_120G_090608.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Coral-Zoa_Green_Green-Skirts_IMG_8332_120G_090608.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
355068=17399-Coral-Zoa_Mint-Chocolate-Chip_IMG_8333_120G_090608.jpg
>
355068=17399-Coral-Zoa_Mint-Chocolate-Chip_IMG_8333_120G_090608.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Coral-Zoa_Mint-Chocolate-Chip_IMG_8333_120G_090608.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
355068=17400-Coral-Zoa_Red_Red-Skirts_IMG_8331_120G_090608.jpg
>
355068=17400-Coral-Zoa_Red_Red-Skirts_IMG_8331_120G_090608.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Coral-Zoa_Red_Red-Skirts_IMG_8331_120G_090608.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
355068=17403-Coral_Chalice_Aussie_Fire_Red_IMG_8316_120G_090608.jpg
>
355068=17403-Coral_Chalice_Aussie_Fire_Red_IMG_8316_120G_090608.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Coral_Chalice_Aussie_Fire_Red_IMG_8316_120G_090608.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
355068=17402-Coral_Chalice_Metalic_Armour_IMG_8318_120G_090608.jpg
>
355068=17402-Coral_Chalice_Metalic_Armour_IMG_8318_120G_090608.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Coral_Chalice_Metalic_Armour_IMG_8318_120G_090608.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
355068=17401-Coral_SPS-ORA-Green-Bird's-Nest_IMG_8375_120G_090608.jpg
>
355068=17401-Coral_SPS-ORA-Green-Bird's-Nest_IMG_8375_120G_090608.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Coral_SPS-ORA-Green-Bird's-Nest_IMG_8375_120G_090608.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
355068=17397-Coral_SPS_Montipora_Plate_IMG_8304_120G_090608.jpg
>
355068=17397-Coral_SPS_Montipora_Plate_IMG_8304_120G_090608.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Coral_SPS_Montipora_Plate_IMG_8304_120G_090608.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

You haven't done a FTS yet have you...would like to see size comparison on that rock...I think you will be happy with it just because of all of those ridges that are growing out of it

I didn't get an FTS since putting them in there, but you can get an idea of where they are if you look at the FTS in the first post of this thread.

If you mean to the right of the monti from you it is a purple monti I got from Bobz and if it's the big rock to the left of the monti from you it is hairy mushrooms.

Rockdog;352776 wrote: I have some RED or Orange monti plate(you decide coor) you are welcome too!!

Jason

Jason, since Bud doesn't want it... the orange piece I bought from you at my first meeting at Twisted Taco hasn't grown a bit and I don't see polyps, so I'm concerned it may be a goner. Could I buy another frag from you at some point?

If it still has color it is alive. I had it under T-5 and never saw any polyps either. If it doesn't work out then I will give you another. no need to buy!! I have found it to not be a real fast grower. If you are ever in the Lawrenceville area Stop by and you can have a look see.

Jason

Barry, if it is still orange, I wouldn't give up on it. I think they turn pure white when dead. Here's a picture of one I got quite some time ago that I thought was dead and now you can see it top left of my FTS.

attachment.php

Thanks for the input. It's still the same color, but I swear it hasn't grown even 1mm. There were two frags on the same plug... the smaller one turned black on one edge and then got some bubble algae on that edge. Just to be safe I removed the small frag, and the larger one looks fine color-wise but I can't make it grow. I don't know how demanding monti cap is, but the chalice, leather and assorted softies are growing fine. I've tried it in different light/flow areas and it just sits there.

Any suggestions on making it thrive?

BTW, since this one is still alive, once I get the needs dialed I'd like to get a red frag at some point. I love the look of shelving monti, but at this rate I'll be 50 before it leaves the plug.

Back