Need some help and advise

terrimorgan

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to the hobby, and have recently, in May, purchased a 72 gal bow front. I transported everything home, have it up and running, have added a few things, and it is doing great, and WOW have I learned a lot in a short time. But.......I am trying to find out if the "florescent bulb" is working that the water flows through to kill bacteria. I have looked it over, and cannot tell. I can tell it is working because of the humming and slight vibration, but no idea if bulb is on.

I would like to know if there is anyone out there that wouldn't mind coming by to give me some pointers on this set up. I live in Acworth at the corner of Acworth Due West and Cobb Park Way. I think I have done everything appropriately, but sure would like some reassurrance. I am willing to pay small fee, give drinks, cook, what ever will entice someone to come help!!! :) I will be at the cook out today, and look forward to meeting others in the same hobby.

Terri Morgan
678-687-8596

Hi Terri, Welcome to ARC!

Do you know the brand of the UV sterilizer you have? Most have a way to see if the light is on - either a little "window" or a part of the unit is made of clear or opaque plastic so one can see the "glow" if the lamp is lit. Often it's at one end of the unit.

If you can ID the brand of the unit, we can probably help you troubleshoot right here.

Cheers,
Jenn

Hi Jen,

Thanks for the response. No, it appears to be home made. I am just worried to start taking it apart because if water goes everywhere, I will be at a loss. I did open the end caps and can see end of bulb where posts are. Really at a loss at what to do. May be wise just to purchase another one.

Yeah!!!!! More girl power! Welcome to ARC! :)

See ya this afternoon.

You may receive mixed opinions on this... so here's mine :)

In my opinion, UV sterilizers aren't a necessary component of a reef system. They do have practical applications, for controlling parasites and microalgae suspended in the water column. However, if those problems are present, a UV is only a part of the solution. Identifying and addressing the causes of the problem(s) is the other part.

Some will argue that a UV kills off as much "good" stuff as "bad" stuff - and that may or may not be true. Every tank is different.

Having said that, if one already has a UV, it may be useful, but in general, I don't recommend that somebody go out and buy one "just because". So if the one you have isn't working or can't be repaired, I wouldn't necessarily suggest you replace it.

Are you able to take the unit offline, or is it plumbed into your return plumbing? If it's the former, you may be able to take the unit off the system and drain it, and either you or somebody else can take it apart and test it. If it's the latter - that may be a bit of an undertaking.

Have you been having issues that would necessitate a UV? If so, please describe them, and perhaps we can help you address those, in addition to offering some help to get the unit tested and/or functional again.

Since you already have the unit, even if you decide not to use it 24/7, it's a good thing to have on hand in case you do encounter problems that it can help to fix.

Hope this helps some :)

Jenn

I use UVs on my commercial systems - they do have their applications. As I said, parasite control and microalgae suspended in the water column - they are useful for these, as part of a bigger picture.

Jenn

Thanks for the advice. I might try to take it apart tomorrow and see what happens and go from there.

Hi, Terri. Great to see another person in Acworth! I know the area you're in well and I'm always up that way. I'm fairly close -- off Glade Rd near the interstate.
While I'm new to the hobby as well, if you need somebody to chat with or would like to do a store crawl sometime...

Do you have your test kits already?

Oh, and do try to find out the brand of UV sterilizer. Then if you plan on opening the unit up you can look up directions on how to open it. Let's just say I found out the hard way that opening UV sterilizers can be tricky.

Hi Tmara, thanks for the note. It would be great to know someone to chat with over all this stuff sometimes. I think my UV is home made, and haven't had the nerves to try and open it yet, as it is part of my main water supply line. Will have to wait till I have plenty of time and stores ready available to get parts at if needed. Would love to go store crawling anytime.......do it often!!! Need someone to tell me no once and awhile. LOL Take care, and keep in touch.

Terri, Did you get your uv apart if not I am also in Acworth just north of you across Lake Allatoona. Is the uv plumbed as part of the main return plumbing or does it have its own pump? If it is part of the main plumbing and you want to remove it and set it up on its own pump I could probably help you around the middle of this week just have to let me know. Eric

Back