need some help (I have yuengling)

Ck...if you still need help with anything, 2 beers are better than one, Id be more than happy to try and help

thank you Russ I just PMed George if he will not be able to come by you will be next on the list

cyano is not caused by phosphates. without nitrates in the water, cyano cannot proliferate.

it sounds like a nitrate problem, considering the fact that you're getting both hair and cyano.

hair algae should eventually go away as your water parameters stabilize. adding a refugium with various macro algae will out compete hair algae for nutrients most of the time.

the solution to cyano is to keep the PH levels above 8.5. use a buffer and for the next few days, increase the PH until you get around 8.5. dose kalkwasser for a week and you'll see the cyano literally melt off rocks.

using a turkey baster to "wash" the infected rocks over will help speed the process.

i'd also consider adding a phosphate reactor of some sort. as the cyano locks phosphate molecules in its cells and as it "melts", it re-releases phosphates back into the water.

and of course, snail poop (especially cyano eating turbos) also contain phosphates.

i had an awful red slime problem. my water tested fine, current going strong. so i started paying close attention to what supplements i put in and what happened afterward. so every thing is good did a water change got a carbon filter pouch thing, water looked good. so then i started adding things. i put in a cap full of that seachem amino. the red bottle with iodine and a few other things and boom! red slime everywhere!!! so from here on out im adding a very small amount of that stuff. thought id tell you my experience with this frustrating bacteria from hell

yeah I have stopped dosing iodine and the cyano is still getting worse It is not as bad as it was the first time I had it

ckwatson;153669 wrote: yeah I have stopped dosing iodine and the cyano is still getting worse It is not as bad as it was the first time I had it

using carbon? if so, what kind?

your nitrates are testing 0? cyano can't bloom without nitrates...

what does your rockscape look like? is there a lot of rock touching the sand?

any unaccounted fishes/inverts?

the rock is sitting on the sand and yes the nitrates tested 0 a week ago (I test on monday) I think I have lost some blue legs but nothing major.

this is about what it looks like, it has changed some but where is touches the sand is the same.

IMG_2968Small.jpg
alt="" />

if you have dead inverts in your tank, it will spike your nitrate levels.

where are the rocks from? they could be a source of phosphates/nitrates as well.

just because cyano is disappearing, it doesn't mean phosphates are leaving the tank. phosphates are held within the cellular walls of cyanobacteria and as it breaks down, phosphates are re-released into the water column.

remove the rocks, syphon out the cloudy water that'll disperse after you lift the rocks, then add new water.

try to keep the rocks from touching the sand the best you can so that you won't have detrius (aka poop) collecting near/under/below the rocks.

check to see if you see any dead blue legs in the tank. although they're small, decaying inverts will foul water rather quickly.

To control problem algae you simply need to increase your nutrient export such that it is greater than your nutrient import.

So skim wet, feed less, prune the fuge, and remove nuisance algae with predators or preferably by hand. Keep that up and you'll have it under control. How long it takes to get it under control varies as there are quite a few factors. Rest assured though that with diligence it will get better every week. I may be able to drop by on W if you like since I'll be in the area.

G'luck!!!

thanks for the offer Jin but I will be at work till about 9 or 930 if you want to stop by then it would be great but I dont plan on seeing you. I am thinking about upgrading to a 65g if I do that I can take the rock out and clean it and do some thing to try and keep it off the sand.

I'm in smyrna and am willing to come by. I have several salifert tests I could bring. Where in smyrna are you? How long has the tank been set up?

I am off ridge road near atlanta rd. The tank has been up a little over 5 months. It would be great if you could come over with your test kits

well I am not working tonight so if any one that has offered help would like to come over look at a tank, do some water tests and drink some beer please let me know. I will be home a little after 4pm

Back