Need some ideas for a good return pump

carey1465

Market
Reaction score
Just bought a 210 gallon from a member and I'm searching for a good return pump. For the last 5 years I've been using my old Mag drive 12. I had great success with the mag drives but I heard they produce a lot heat and use plenty of electricity.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're planning on running a manifold and use one pump for it and the return go with the DCT 15000.

yes they do use a more power compared to others, and yeah they do put out a bit more heat but its really not noticeable unless your using it in a REALLY small tank or already having heat issues.

If its still working, neither would be a good reason to switch. The mag 12 uses 110 watts vs the jeabo's 85. At Ga's power rates you would save a massive $0.90 a month. The 25 watt difference in heat would never even be noticed.

If its broken, yeah get a Jeabo.

I recently got a DC pump. Strong and only a slight hum. Dead silent with the stand door closed. Quiet was my top criteria. If you have the funds of course the vectra is first choice. The others out there seem to be the same pumps with different branding.

...another vote for the Jebao DCTs...I've got a 12000 and a 6000, and they're great pumps for the price, in my opinion! I run a manifold for a single reactor, and two returns off of the 12000 on my 60g, and there's plenty of flow.

EnderG60;1099319 wrote: yes they do use a more power compared to others, and yeah they do put out a bit more heat but its really not noticeable unless your using it in a REALLY small tank or already having heat issues.

If its still working, neither would be a good reason to switch. The mag 12 uses 110 watts vs the jeabo's 85. At Ga's power rates you would save a massive $0.90 a month. The 25 watt difference in heat would never even be noticed.

If its broken, yeah get a Jeabo.
How much is GA Power's rate? I figured the savings would be twice that. Plus what's the relationship on gph to energy usage for both? DC pump can be turned down since it pushes more water.

My recommendation would be a Jebao, and I believe the third generation is out now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies!! I'll check into the Jebao's. Which model I should go with since it's 210 gallon? I was trying to find a website for them so I can compare models but I all I see are links for ebay, amazon etc...

Keep in mind that you don't need to go overboard on your turnover rate. The old 10x number was when people were using their return for the majority of flow in the display.

carey1465;1099331 wrote: Thanks for all the replies!! I'll check into the Jebao's. Which model I should go with since it's 210 gallon? I was trying to find a website for them so I can compare models but I all I see are links for ebay, amazon etc...

Dc1200 is plenty i only use mines on not even 25% of the power

Dapperjman;1099330 wrote: How much is GA Power's rate? I figured the savings would be twice that. Plus what's the relationship on gph to energy usage for both? DC pump can be turned down since it pushes more water.

My recommendation would be a Jebao, and I believe the third generation is out now.

$0.04 off peak, $0.12 on peak last I checked. And both AC and DC pumps use less power when valved down although the graphs of that are different for every pump.

The point is, if the mag12 is working there is zero reason to swap it out as the new pump would not last long enough to pay for itself.

If you want a quiet pump, or a controllable pump sure, upgrade. If you want to reduce energy usage or heat in the tank over an existing pump its not worth it.

Same reason I still use halides over LED's. For me they would never pay for themselves.

110W-85W = 25W savings

25W * 24 hours * 30 days = 18000 watt-hours per month

18000/1000 = 18 kilowatt hours per month

18 * .12 = $2.16 Energy savings per month worst case (electricity is cheaper in the non-summer months)

$140 new pump cost / $2.16 savings per month = 64 months best case to pay for a new pump with just energy savings. This is why Ender is suggesting not to replace a working pump thinking you will save money in the long run. The payback is not significant or quick.

I think it's more important to base it off what your filtration can handle (Skimmer size being the biggest one) and what animals you're trying to keep alive. If you're oversized on your skimmer, bump up the return rate to get the pooh through it and water oxygenated. Very important if going the SPS route. Otherwise, spending an 20 minutes of your time to figure out how to chop a quarter in half probably isn't worth your hourly pay rate.

I live by the rule to always go bigger than you think you need. Your tank's needs will only grow, not shrink. Buy right, or buy twice. I only have experience with Jebao's first gen pumps. It was in the garbage within 6 months. Maybe they're better now... I bought it to run my UV and it was in constant need of maintenance, cleaning, and attention. My Blueline's on the other hand have been running 5 years now without a hitch. I'd go with an HD70 if it were my 210. That's what I had running my 120g in it's glory days. But, I also matched the skimmer to handle the turnover.

The jebao dct 12000 uses 85 watts to push over 3000 gph

The mag12 is using 110 watts to push roughly 1200 gph
The Blueline 70 HD mentioned is going to use roughly 290 watts to push 1500 gph . Typically used where higher shutoff/pressure is needed.

That is no where close to equilibrium.

Compare the Jebao dct 6000 to the mag 12

It will push 1500+gph at 42 watts.

It is Jebao all the way for me or really any of the dc pumps. The energy savings is much more than mentioned above at watts per gph, albeit maybe $6 a month.

Also it will take x amount of watts to heat your tank regardless of where they originate.

If using an in sump skimmer, it will only process as much water as it will draw in through it's pump. Make sure the flow is at least that of the gph intake of the skimmer so that it can always have dirty water to process. The perception that slow flow through the sump gives the skimmer more time to clean the water is not accurate. If that were the case a skimmer placed in the display tank would be useless lol. An external skimmer is a little different

grouper therapy;1099510 wrote: The jebao dct 12000 uses 85 watts to push over 3000 gph

The mag12 is using 110 watts to push roughly 1200 gph
The Blueline 70 HD mentioned is going to use roughly 290 watts to push 1500 gph . Typically used where higher shutoff/pressure is needed.

That is no where close to equilibrium.

Compare the Jebao dct 6000 to the mag 12

It will push 1500+gph at 42 watts.

It is Jebao all the way for me or really any of the dc pumps. The energy savings is much more than mentioned above at watts per gph, albeit maybe $6 a month.

Also it will take x amount of watts to heat your tank regardless of where they originate.
+1 That's what I meant when I asked about gph to energy usage, can't compare max power usage on 2 different pumps.

You can't have to much turnover rate in a closed recirculating system btw. If so as mentioned a hob skimmer would be useless. You can overload filter socks and overflows. I prefer as much turn over as I can get.

Back